School 1960 vs. School 2007 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
School 1960 vs. School 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1960 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school

1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1960 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra state funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping on the backside.

1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school .

1960 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.

1960 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. US Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Independence Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1960 - Ants die.

2007 - Homeland Security and the FBI are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1960 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Independence Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1960 - Ants die.

2007 - Homeland Security and the FBI are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

God I laughed so hard. It's true. I've lived it ALL. Being a teen now sucks. My dad talks of putting cherry bombs in school toilets, having fun, my friend's dad shut the power out at his high school senior year. Now, we'd be arrested on the spot, charged, ruined for life.

SPINELESS WE'RE MADE.

I'm medicated. I do have actual problems, like Tourette's, so without meds it blows, it really impairs life, but you can't fight and then be all like, man, are we cool? The next day. It sucks.

I want to stand up for myself and I have to think about LEGAL crap before opening my mouth. This world lives in fear, and we all do. I wish I didn't but it keeps most of us in line.

Some things just get taken too far. Like fist fights, guns, having fun. There's a point when some loony does take it off the edge, but that happens, what, one out of a million? Some days I want to take my pellet gun out in the woods and shoot into the creek from up high, plinking. I have a gun case but you think that would stop someone from calling the cops? No.

**** back in 1960 you could shoot a frickin' BB gun or pellet gun at your neighbor's cat and the most you'd get is a slap on the back for being a good shot or a whoopin'. Now you'll get a lawsuit...

I'm done...

**** back in 1960 you could shoot a frickin' BB gun or pellet gun at your neighbor's cat and the most you'd get is a slap on the back for being a good shot or a whoopin'. Now you'll get a lawsuit...

I'm done...

I would not sue you if you shot my cat with a BB Gun. I would just go over and kick your ass and if you dad tried to stop me I would kick his ass too....

:lol:

To all you guys that grew up in the 60's.... I grew up in the 40's.
And it wasn't too much different. A teacher's hug was a good thing.
You got expelled for something really serious.... like GTA. You were
passed to the next higher grade if you deserved to pass... not because
some politician thought you should. Hell... I was in the Navy in 1951 !!

Charles

I who can forget the strap and if your grades were crap you failed I remember one kid had a beard in grade 4 he'd failed so often. School buses were only if you lived several miles away you didn't have to lock your bike , my allowance was $.25 a week , beer was $.10

I who can forget the strap and if your grades were crap you failed I remember one kid had a beard in grade 4 he'd failed so often. School buses were only if you lived several miles away you didn't have to lock your bike , my allowance was $.25 a week , beer was $.10

I rode my bike to school, and you're right... you didn't have to lock it. I can
remember a coke for five cents, a loaf of bread or a quart of milk for fifteen
cents, and a pack of cigarettes for eleven cents. A streetcar ride to
anywhere in the city of Baltimore was ten cents. I remember seeing the
signs for a five cent beer

FlyboyJ told me he had to walk to school in the snow, and it was up-hill....
BOTH WAYS !! :evil4:

Charles

Some things do not change.

We are teaching our young son some facts.

Stand up for what is right

Stand up for other people

Believe in yourself

and the most important (stuff the ten rules thing)

If it is not going to hurt you or any one else, it is probably ok. (in a generic sense people)

Some win, some lose, some never get the chance to see, some do not want others to try.

What has changed in the last 3 centuries to make this such a breathtakingly new thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back