Screaming Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peebs

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2010
Werribee Vic
Ok, so now I'm back in the saddle,

I attended the recent RAAF bi annual air show at RAAF Williams, Point Cook, and was again taken by the 'Scream' of our own little CAC Boomerang.

I've had a bit of a hunt on youtube and found this little clip for those of you who may want a listen.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKLAiw5dMrs

Obviously there is the 'Stuka', but i was wondering about other WWII Favorites you all have????

That sound is the supercharger. All superchargerd engines make that sound, even a Camaro or ... a Merlin. The volume depends on the suopercharger ratio.

That sound is the supercharger. All superchargerd engines make that sound, even a Camaro or ... a Merlin. The volume depends on the suopercharger ratio.

What is supercharger ratio of the boomerang in the film clips ?

tongue firmly in cheek.

I recall the Skyraiders in Vietnam making a similiar whistle while making a low pass. Aways thought it was due to various things sticking out into the air stream much the way a car window will "whistle" a certain speeds. My Saturn Sky is turbo and it makes more of a "growl" than a whistle

Well, I was always "told" the Mustang howl was from the radiator scoop. Also the "whistle" in the F4U was the oil cooler radiators in the wing roots. I have not seen a Spitfire in person, on video I haven't heard the howl as in the Mustang with the same powerplant.

That being said, when I first heard a Mustang in person, I thought it was the supercharger. I am a drag racer, and thus familiar with the sound of a supercharged engine. I was "corrected" at that airshow and told it was the air scoop.

So which is it? Supercharger, scoops, gun tubes?

Last edited:
More than likely a combination of all three. The Stuka's made their scream long before sirens were added to increase the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back