Seafire L.IIIc, 887 NAS, HMS Indefatigable Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Hi chaps

After my poor showing in the last GB, I am hoping things go a tad better with this one 8)

Seafire L.IIIc, 887 NAS, HMS Indefatigable, SW Pacific Fleet, Aug 45
Airfix 1/48
Cat 3 build

As the title says, I've gone for Airfix's 1/48 Spit Vc built as a Seafire L.IIIc aboard HMS Indefatigable in the last weeks of the war. I picked the kit up ages ago at my local Hobbycraft store, which were offering it at half price. As Seafire kits seem to be like hen's teeth, I snapped it up straight away.

I am just about to start the build as we speak, so expect cockpit pics in the next few days.

MODS: Tried to put 'Group Build' in the thread tilte but I seemed to run out of characters. Sorry!!!

Thanks in advance for looking

Rich

Last edited:
Cheers guys 8) I'm still slogging away at the basics at the moment, have just had an hour painting vast swathes of interior green and getting a bit of assembly done on the pit - as ever, Airfix instructions are clear as mud so figuring out how bits attach can be interesting! Friday is my day off (I'm one of these funny folks that works shifts!) so I will actually be able to spend some proper time on it and will hopefully get the primer on the major surfaces, then the pit can go in - and I'll have something worth taking a pic of :lol:

Right blokes,

It has been a long time, but here at last are some pics to prove that this isn't vapourware :oops::lol::lol:

First up, a few of the 'pit fully installed:

002.gif

005.gif

008.gif

Before putting the fuse halves together, part of each had to be cut away to make room for the arrestor hook assembly. The plastic this thing is moulded in is probably proof against anything up to 20mm HE, and the rather large knife looming in the top of the picture had to be used, as I was much too scared to get the Dremel out! Pics show a dry fit after surgery was performed:

010.gif

011.gif

012.gif

Fuse halves together:

015.gif

As it turns out, I cut away too much on one side, so next job will be to get some filler in there. This is my first ever attempt at chopping a kit up, so I'm pleased it was only this bad! :lol:

018.gif

And tonight's work: wings assembled ready mating with fuse and fitting of wingtips and filters:

019.gif

For those who are into thier cameras, pics were taken on a borrowed Kodak DX6490.

Thanks for looking chaps - I might even get this one finished on time y'know! 8)

Good work so far Rich, especially for a first attempt at 'surgery'! Know what you mean about the plastic being tough, I used the original MkV kit for a couple of conversions years ago -could have done with a thermic lance on some parts!

Thanks all 8) I'm starting to think that this kit was a fiver well spent. It is, IMHO, a much better kit than the Airfix 1/48 Hurri of the same vintage, and for the price I probably should have bought a few, as it offers a good range of very interesting and very different subjects to build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back