Seeking info on recruitment efforts by Standard Oil for military crews just prior to WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MCasey

Recruit
Sep 6, 2017
I'm reading letters from 1941 from a radioman who's part of a Navy submarine patrol aircraft based in Providence, RI, written to his brother, an air cadet based in Long Island. The Navy radioman implores his brother in a couple of letters to sign up for some sort of commercial duty with Standard Oil in China.

Transcript Letter One dated November 9, 1941
Hi-Ya Brother,
Here is the dope you want on that China details as follows: You either go to see this fellow or write him a letter asking for an application to go.
Address:
Mr. Fenton L. Brown
c/o central aircraft
30 Rockefeller Plazas
I have already wrote for an application and I hope to get it this week. I am also getting off that restrict list, they have at least twenty fellows on it now. They all needed to have their haircut. I hope if I can go. You and I get in the same outfit, maybe we can request it?

Transcript Letter Two dated December 1, 1941
Well here is some good news, you know that China business well if you fly it is $500 per month. They give you $3 per day living expense on your way to the west coast train fare and boat fare also $100 bar money. So if you want to go you better sign up in a hurry as they will be needing men bad. Standard Oil is backing it, now kp this under your hat until you decide to sign up and you have the papers in your hands because if you don't they might get to (sic) many and then the pay might be less. Mention my name when you signup if you can, also fill one out for me.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Please let me know.

Brown is mentioned once in this book,

1586735387157.png

1586735357373.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back