Seesul´s lingual corner

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's the 3 F's of finance:

If it flies, floats, or fornicates, it is going to cost you a lot of money. And some warbird owners swear their airplanes are cheaper than their spouses, or ex-spouses. :evil4:

I've noticed on more than one occasion that our UK friends here on the forum sometimes refer to each other with "Dogsbody". I suspect it has something to do with RAF lingo, but would like to know what it means exactly.

Last edited:
Igor, from Wiki:

A dogsbody, or less commonly dog robber in the Royal Navy, is a junior officer, or more generally someone who does drudge work. A rough American equivalent would be a "gofer", "scutpuppy", or "grunt".

I've noticed on more than one occasion that my UK friends here on the forum sometimes refer to each other with "Dogsbody". I suspect it has something to do with RAF lingo, but would like to know what it means exactly.

Was going to PM one of our friends from across the pond to ask the same thing!

And

Thanks Eric!

Now I'm going to call people scutpuppy. :lol:

During his practice after takeoff, he did a shondell with the wing up to the left and then a shondell to the right, ascending, descending and landing.

Our pilot had to make a shondelle to the right to avoid the burning plane.

What does shondell (e) mean?

Hi Roman, this is what I found Aerobatics Figures

Basic: Chandelle is defined as a maximum performance climbing turn through 180 degrees while maintaining a constant turn rate.

Way too much detail: The idea is that this is a "plan ahead" maneuver. You first establish a medium bank depending on the performance of your aircraft. Then a smooth pullup is started. The angle of bank stays constant during the first 90 degrees of turn, while the pitch angle increases steadily. At the 90 degree point the plane has the maximum pitch angle which should be close to the critical angle of attack. During the second 90 degrees of turn, the pitch angle is held constant, while the bank angle is smoothly decreased to reach 0 degrees of bank at 180 degrees of turn with the airspeed close to the stall speed. The plane should not settle during the last part of the maneuver and the recovery. The decreasing bank angle during the second half of the Chandelle will maintain a constant turn rate together with the decreasing airspeed. The turn needs to be kept coordinated by applying the right amount of rudder. A Chandelle to the left is quite different than one to the right because of the ever increasing amount of p-factor in the second half of the maneuver.

Igor i've nicknamed Terry Dogsbody after Douglas Bader's RAF call sign after he made a joke to me about it would be easier if he had his legs removed and replaced with wheels one day when his legs were acting up from to much walking:lol:

I was wondering why you nicknamed Terry like that. Thanks for the explanation Karl. Now, what's the story behind "Red Two" nickname? Was it Bader's wing man call sign or something like that?

Roman, I'm pretty sure that Brogans they were referring to were a type of military boots that looked more like a shoe.

Brogans were worn during the American Civil War (1861-1865) and if I remember right, were also called "Jefferson Bootees", since they were only ankle-high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back