islandee
Airman
From Senshi Sosho vol 34 p 703, dealing with events in Burma on the afternoon of 24 May 1942, I have this paragraph:
午後、第七飛行団は飛行第十二戦隊(ランパン二七機)、第九十八戦隊(ナコンサヮンニ六機)および一式戦(チエンマイー一機)をもつてアキャブ飛行場に進攻し、飛行場を制圧して帰還した。
Google translates it as:
In the afternoon, the 7th Air Group, with the 12th Air Squadron (27 aircraft from Lampang), the 98th Air Squadron (6 aircraft from Nakhon Sawan), and a Type 1 fighter (1 aircraft from Chiang Mai), advanced on Akyab Airfield, seized control of the airfield, and returned.
I'm curious about the last aircraft mentioned, the "Type 1 fighter (1 aircraft from Chiang Mai)". I believe that the OCR of the text is correct, at least for this item; however, English sources (Ford and Shores) write about 11 fighters, not 1, going to Akyab. This fighter or these fighters was/were 64th Sentai flying out of Chiang Mai, acting as escorts for the Ki-21 bombers. Just one fighter as escort for 33 bombers isn't realistic.
Is there a better translation of チエンマイー一機 different from that offered by Google?
午後、第七飛行団は飛行第十二戦隊(ランパン二七機)、第九十八戦隊(ナコンサヮンニ六機)および一式戦(チエンマイー一機)をもつてアキャブ飛行場に進攻し、飛行場を制圧して帰還した。
Google translates it as:
In the afternoon, the 7th Air Group, with the 12th Air Squadron (27 aircraft from Lampang), the 98th Air Squadron (6 aircraft from Nakhon Sawan), and a Type 1 fighter (1 aircraft from Chiang Mai), advanced on Akyab Airfield, seized control of the airfield, and returned.
I'm curious about the last aircraft mentioned, the "Type 1 fighter (1 aircraft from Chiang Mai)". I believe that the OCR of the text is correct, at least for this item; however, English sources (Ford and Shores) write about 11 fighters, not 1, going to Akyab. This fighter or these fighters was/were 64th Sentai flying out of Chiang Mai, acting as escorts for the Ki-21 bombers. Just one fighter as escort for 33 bombers isn't realistic.
Is there a better translation of チエンマイー一機 different from that offered by Google?