September 26, 1983, the day the world nearly ended.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Air defense? From who? Not dumping on ya', but I wonder who is going to attack a Canadian Air Base during a nuclear war?

Just something to do, keep the troops busy? That sort of thing?

Air defense? From who? Not dumping on ya', but I wonder who is going to attack a Canadian Air Base during a nuclear war?

Just something to do, keep the troops busy? That sort of thing?
we were the first line of warning for you guys the DEW line , the Pinetree Line, Mid Canada line were all radar lines across the north, and the guys were used to bolster ground defences at the base and lets not forget BMEWS. All our fighter forces are located well north and at the time were nuke armed. Remember NORAD is a binational organization, in fact during 9/11 a Canadian was the senior officer

Yeah, knew about Norad be binational. Did not know they used nuc armed interceptors that late in the cold war. Thought they were taken out of service in the early 70s. Makes sense the base defense is bolstered with that type of ordinance around.

What were the AAMs that used nuclear tipped warheads? What was the yield on them? Do you know any of that? Just curious. Also, did you have US interceptors up there? What type of interceptors did the Canadians use up there? Was it the Phantom?

I think that would be the AIR-2 (air interception rocket) "Genie." AIR-2 Genie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia To my knoledge this is the only weapon of its type ever developed. (or at least the only one to be in operation use)

The yeild was 1.5 kt, with a lethal radius of an estimated 300 m.

The F-89, F-104, F-101/CF-101, and F-106 were capable of carrting it. (though the F-104 never did).

In the time frame you're talking about it would either be the CF-101 or F-106. (for Canada just the CF-101) After the CF-101 was retireed in 1984 (the US ANG retired the F-101 in '82), the F-106 was the last operational a/c to carry it and in 1988 that was retired from the ANG as well. (and with it, the Genie)

When my dad was in the Air Force, he was at KI Sawyer in the upper peninsula of Michigan at a SAGE sight ( you might have heard about SAGE, pbfoot). Sawyer had F-101Bs armed with the Genie also. I recall he called them MB-1 Genies.

air-2a-2.jpg

Thanks guys, always wondered about that. Seems the kill radius was a little small for a 1.5kt bomb. 300 meters? Figured it would damage a bomber to the point of destruction at a mile.

Just an offhand thought.

Yep familiar with SAGE they had the best phone lines:lol: .
And to answer the question Tim most of visiting aircraft were targets either for our Sqn or based out of for other Sqdns occasionally , like Griffiss , or MCChord , Loring, Pease, etc it depended on the base since all but 2 years of my career were with sky heaters

YES - that brings back memories.. I also learned about the Petrov incident only recently, but the others, especially RYAN, I knew something about a decade ago.

I am a nondrinker, but I'll raise a glass of pseudovodka to Gospodin Petrov.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back