Serving Uncle Sam: A Military Life in WWll (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
this was posted in the SAAF Foggia thread but thought it should have its own posting. it is ( well this part ) is the memoirs of a crew chief with the 57th FG which was attached to the RAF supporting Monte's army in africa. they then get posted back with the uncle sam. this is a hoot! well worth the time to read. gives a lot of insight into life with the RAF and the US....what whas going on with rumors and politics. enjoyable. i quickly looked at some of the other listings in personal histories and there might be other stuff worth reading there too....but start here>>>>>>

Serving Uncle Sam: The Military Life of Gerald Schwartz

Forgive me if I posted my Gerald Schwartz comment in the wrong place. I'm new to this forum and haven't caught on to all the ropes yet.

Glad bobbysocks liked Gerald Schwartz's memoir. Like him, I just found the insights to the life of an ordinary guy in an extraordinary circumstances riveting. It was a lot of work to transcribe his notes into a publishable state but we feel this type of material is just too good to be lost. Not too many original guys still standing so time is running out to get the material from them first-hand.

no...it was fitting that you posted in the original thread. but i felt it deserved one of its own. keep up the good work you have an awesome site.

Thanks for the encouragement bobbysocks.

We're trying to increase our USA coverage but we need help. If any of your readers have stories they would like to see published, please don't hesitate to get into contact via our site aircrewremembered.com

We're located right in the heart of 8th Air Force country, our city library in Norwich, England has one of the largest collection of USAAF material because this area was host to the vast bulk of US air force personnel in the European theatre in WWll, so we are not short of documentation, but what we don't have is enough researchers/writers with knowledge of US activities.

We're serious about US content. I have just completed the publication on the site of a massive US archive which gives the Chronology of every USAAF operation in WWll. Whilst I have seen this material elsewhere in its raw form, we've polished the content, added indexing and provided an in-page highlighting facility so the researcher can identify the nugget he/she is looking for without having to read the whole (huge) page. That's to be found at aircrewremembered.com/USAAFCombatOperations/

US official archives are a model for the rest of the world. They are a credit to your nation. We'll do our best to make available as much as we can in a clean and easily searchable way.

We've got a lot of affinity with the USA. My father flew the Mustang with Polish Squadron 309 in WWll, and it's my ambition one day to get a flight in the bird. Saving up the pennies! I got my own wings flying out of Fullerton CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back