Shah of Persia Muhammed Riza Pahlevi Persian Air Force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ARTESH

Chief Master Sergeant
Aug 27, 2017
Tehran, Iran

Not familiar with planes and specially the interior of them, any idea what plane is this? Photo is dated 1941 as seller claims.

s-l400 (1).jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Most of the Iranian's aircraft were older types by 1941.
The newest would have been Curtiss Tomahawks (still crated) and 25 Rearwin (Model 8125) Cloudsters .

The others in their inventory would have been the Hind (Hawker), Audax, Fury, Oxford and a single Hurricane.

What the Shah is pictured in, I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to be a type belonging to his air force.

I think that is the cockpit of an Anson. The Iranian AF used some for training and reconnaissance (maritime?) during the war. So maybe not 1941?

edit: According to Wiki the Shah did not learn to fly until sometime in 1942, after the UK/USSR invasion in August 1941.

Last edited:
Not sure, but can this interior belonged to any of "B" series? Most likely B-17 Flying Fortress or B-25 Mitchell? Or any medium to very heavy Bomber plane of Allied?

Edit: I say this, because the First "EP-HIM" plane was a converted four engine military plane, IIRC.

The newest would have been Curtiss Tomahawks (still crated) and 25 Rearwin (Model 8125) Cloudsters .

The others in their inventory would have been the Hind (Hawker), Audax, Fury, Oxford and a single Hurricane.

What the Shah is pictured in, I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to be a type belonging to his air force.
Maybe just taken during a visit to Allied forces in Iran? Any info or documents that mentioned this?

As you may notice there is a small triangle window at the left top. The window below the triangle glass has the horiontal frame strip dividing the side window into two ones. Neirther the B-17 nor B-25 had a such winscreen layout.

I think that "1941" is a year of abdication of Reza Shah Pahlavi and introduction of Mohammed R.P, not the date of photo. Look at the title:

C2857) Shah of Persia Muhammed Riza Pahlevi Persian Air Force - 1947 Clip

, so the photo could have been taken in 1947.
I checked the inventory of IIAF, and I think the solution might have been Avro Anson: avro anson cockpit - Google Search
Compare the shape of a steering wheel/yoke ("wolant" in Polish) and distinctive "thing" that Shah was holding at the mentioned photo.

Yes I agree. The frame layout of the cockpit hood looks the same. There is another horizontal strip of the frame on the side window slightly below the Shah's shoulder. It is almost hiden by his hand.. What is more there is the vertical pipe behind the pilot's chair.

I think that "1941" is a year of abdication of Reza Shah Pahlavi and introduction of Mohammed R.P, not the date of photo. Look at the title:

C2857) Shah of Persia Muhammed Riza Pahlevi Persian Air Force - 1947 Clip

, so the photo could have been taken in 1947.
I checked the inventory of IIAF, and I think the solution might have been Avro Anson: avro anson cockpit - Google Search
Compare the shape of a steering wheel/yoke ("wolant" in Polish) and distinctive "thing" that Shah was holding at the mentioned photo.
Much appreciated, dear Chris.

I think that is the cockpit of an Anson. The Iranian AF used some for training and reconnaissance (maritime?) during the war. So maybe not 1941?

edit: According to Wiki the Shah did not learn to fly until sometime in 1942, after the UK/USSR invasion in August 1941.

Yes I agree. The frame layout of the cockpit hood looks the same. There is another horizontal strip of the frame on the side window slightly below the Shah's shoulder. It is almost hiden by his hand.. What is more there is the vertical pipe behind the pilot's chair.
Thank you for your help, notes, time and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back