Shelf Of Doom/ Pt.1/48 He 111 conversion, FINISHED!!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Geo! ;)
Next will be underwing overpainted Lufwaffe markings. It seams the Slovak National Markings were smaller then the Lufwaffe ones on the underwing. Upperwing seams to have had the same dimensions, so I asume the underwing got a fresh layer of RLM 65 over the lufwaffe markings prior to painting on the Slovak Markings. They also most likely painted over the Codes on the underwing as well.

A club member offered me some Monogram H-6 exhaust stacks. If these are any good (I hope to get 'em next week) I don't have to purchase the Quickboost ones.

Thanks for the kind words! :)
I did some work on the He 111. I added the overpainted codes on the lower wings, using the exellent Aero Detail Book again. I cut some masks from low tack self adhesive film and used some fresh RLM 65 straight from the jar for this. Pretty pleased with the result. It's looking subtle, just what I hoped for.
Yesterday evening, I put a layer of Future/Klir over the model to prepare it for some decals.
The thing I really like about a layer of future is how it makes the camo really blend in. The overpainted era of the fuselage looks quiet the way I hoped.

Still need to fix the gear though (one of the legs broke during handling.)
I hope to post some pics of my progress tonight. Perhaps even a few with some decals on ;) !!!

Last edited:
Et voila, some pics of the progress I made on the he 111.

I painted the "fresh" layer of RLM 70 over the existing camo and my DIY quick fuselage codes. I'm a keen follower of the "Villalba" method of using transparent colours. So the original fuselage codes show through just a little bit.
I also added the yellow fuselage band and wing tips. I don't like using decals for these fuselage bands (although the AeroMaster set had it included) but most of the times they don't fit and I always find their colours a bit too intense to match the wing tips in this case.
DSCF3184.JPG

DSCF3185.JPG

DSCF3186.JPG

DSCF3187.JPG

After the obligatory layer of future/klir (and had it dry overnight) It was time to tackle the AeroMaster decals.
I realized these are almost 20 years old... And a few started to disintigrate a bit. Luckily I was able to save 'em with the use of microscale "Set" and "Sol" solution....
I'm a bit let down by the research AeroMaster did for this particular sheet.
I think the cross on the tail is a tad too small when compared to the pics of the actual machine and the wing crosses might be a tad too big. I initially hoped to swap these around, but the Wing cross is too big for the tail...So these will have to do. Painting them would be a bit too complicated.
Anyway, after some fiddling around, these set down.

DSCF3188.JPG

DSCF3189.JPG

DSCF3190.JPG

And yes, you got me. Theree is a piece of decal missing in the last pic. Though it's on purpose as the rudder control needs to be added there. The decal ripped just there and I'm gonna touch it up after I intalled the now missing rudder control. (I made a small incission for the cross on the other side to avoid this.)

So, that's all for now. Hopefully soon more to follow....

Last edited:
Just checked the decals again this morning and they laid down just fine.
Even though the markings look "fresh" on the worn paint, that's just what I'm after.
Though some weathering will tone these down a bit. But it will be historicaly correct, as the CAF painted new markings on an already worn machine.

I still have to manage the smaller decals. I have found the original Revell He 111 H22 decal sheet in a binder (Guess it's from the H22 I posted here). Though the Revell of Germany decals are not my favorite ones (due to their very matt carrier film and tendency to silver) I will use them anyway. Though after cutting away as much as carrier film as possible.
The Yellow wing walk lines will be airbrushed with a toned down yellow. I'll only use decals for the filler caps and fuel markings and with the use of Microscale "Set" And "Sol" solutions. And most likely put a dab of Future over them once aplied and dried.
But so far, so good...

Last edited:
Wonderful paint job ...:shock:
It was an interesting lesson with all contributions and information on this particular version of the HE 111. :idea:

I will be attentive of outcome.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Un abrazo :thumbup:

SANCER

I finished this model a while ago, I'll see if I can post some pics of it soon.
So, one model to cross of my S.O.D. list....
Now there is still the old Arii P-47, Esci's Henshel He 129 and the Aardvark Ju 388 conversion...

One day...one day... ;)

The Classic Airframes He 51 B-2 suffered yet another accident (falling of a shelf once again....) I'm afraid it's gonna end up in the bin as it's last unfortunate accident destroyed the parts that were suposed to hold the floats... I might be able to save it and build it as a He 51 A as the kit also included spatted wheels...But this is on the bottom of my to do list at the moment....

Update 03/16'18
The CA He 51 B-2 and the ESCI Hs 129 ended up in the bin after a model shelf accident...
Unfortunate, but the two were beyond repair... :facepalm:
So, just the Arii P-47 and the Dragon/Aardvark Ju 388 still languish on the shelf of D...
He 111 is visible in all her glory, see below ;)

Last edited:
I realized I never posted any pics of the finished model. So better late then never I supose...

S-82 Slovakian Air Force He 111 H-10 unarmed paratrooper transport.

DSCF4267.JPG DSCF4268.JPG DSCF4269.JPG DSCF4270.JPG DSCF4272.JPG DSCF4274.JPG DSCF4275.JPG DSCF4276.JPG DSCF4277.JPG DSCF4278.JPG DSCF4279.JPG DSCF4280.JPG DSCF4281.JPG DSCF4282.JPG
DSCF4283.JPG DSCF4284.JPG DSCF4285.JPG DSCF4286.JPG

Nicely done.
I have a couple of the Monogram kits, put aside for my BoB collection. But now that I've got the ICM kit underway, I might convert one of the Monogram examples to a He-111P,.

Great looking build and very unique markings! Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back