Shocking - Darwin Awards Candidate. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bucksnort101

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 11, 2007
Minnesota
This was in the local paper this afternoon. I'm sure he the fence he had to climb in order to get to the transformer had giant "Danger - High Voltage" signs plastered all over it.

Would-be copper thief is zapped in Eagan
By KATIE HUMPHREY, Star Tribune

An attempted copper theft at an Eagan substation early Wednesday knocked out power for thousands of residents and sent the alleged thief to Regions Hospital.

Joe Miller, a spokesman for Dakota Electric, said the man scaled a chain link fence, cut through the barbed wire at the top and then climbed on top of a transformer, where he was injured when he came into contact with a 69,000-volt transmission line.

The man, who has not been identified, was taken to Regions Hospital Burn Center. His condition is unknown.

About 7,100 Dakota Electric customers in western and southwestern Eagan were affected by the power outage, which lasted from about 12:35 a.m. to 3 a.m.

The substation on Deerwood Drive west of Interstate 35E is the point at which power from transmission lines is divvied up into smaller underground lines that deliver it to homes and other buildings.

Miller said copper thefts increased a few years ago when the price of the metal went up, but Dakota Electric hasn't dealt with a copper theft for a couple of years.

He urged people to heed the posted warnings, stay outside fenced-in areas and call 911 if they see suspicious activity at a substation.

"It's a dangerous place to be," Miller said. "It's just sad and it's just crazy that anyone would think to go in there and risk their life for a minor amount of whatever financial gain they thought they could get."

Eagan police are investigating the incident.

Would-be copper thief is zapped in Eagan | StarTribune.com

Frikkin lucky! Voltage isn't what hurts you, you could grab a 100,000v line and just feel a tingle. Its the amps that kill. .1amp is deadly. .01amp will lock your muscles up, leaving you to jiggle until the cops got there. A substation, though....that's got quite a few ams runnin through it! Guess fortune favors the incredibly stupid, on occasion....

At a friends house I hit an electric fence with the quad......well not really the quad more like I stopped short and stuck my arm out thinking it'd help....but ... I was wrong :lol:

If anyone has doubts about current roasting the body from the inside out, all they have to do is see that guy in India that grabbed the center wire above the train and got killed deader-n-hell in a fraction of a second...

Now that was a Darwin Award runner-up, right there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back