Short memory (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While I was in Italy, I found that in the larger cities, they tended to be a bit irritated at my speaking English, but in a few of the more offbeat places, I was very popular with the locals while we struggled between Italian and English (though I did use some of my spanish which did help immensely) they were absolute, genuinely good people. Same could be said for Greece, Slovenia, Croatia and of course, Bulgaria (I will say that while in Serbia, I wasn't very popular with those who knew I was an American and I wasn't advertising the fact, either)

In all honesty, there's not much difference between the people in any of those countries or others. They are all full of people who have to pay bills, stand in line at the post office, worry about getting the kids to school on time, making a doctor's appointment, irritated at the rising cost of gasoline, getting to the bank just in time to see the clerk put up the closed sign and a million other daily, everyday things...

Stereotypes gives me a lot of amusement too. Ridicule is great humour and as long as the greater part is aimed at one-selves is harmless fun.

On the west coast of France is one of the longest beaches in the world Côte d'Argent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is one of our favourite places.

Now, why with so much beach do people want to sit on top of each other? We had a few days at Hourtin and walked long enough to find a totally empty part of the beach. Ah bliss, just us, the sea and beach. Settle down and the next thing is 'bip bob bip bat'....a French family had followed us ,planted themselves near by and got the f88king bat and ball out...'bip bob bip bat'.. I can tell you that war has started over less...we decamp and move further along and the look we got from the French family had to be seen to be believed.

Snotty Anglais?:whdat:

The images of foreign culture intrigues me. Apparently all Aussies do is drink Fosters, ogle woman and surf.....The South Africans shoot people (topical)....the Americans are all rich and life is a mix of Dallas and Cagney Lacey powered by V8's, cold beer and fast food...The Germans still really don't understand British humour ...mind you anyone who builds an EOS must have a sense of humour ....The Dutch are so laid back they are horizontal...The Irish are great, anyone who picks me up after a heavy motorcycle accident, patches me up, collects what's left of my bike and takes me to Rosslare at there own expense and refuses any money is more than ok in my book.

Cheers
John

Well I can only speak for myself but we spent 3 days in Paris and I hated every minute. We were fleeced and conned everywhere. Perfect English when we arrived...then NO ENGLISH when leaving with an inflated bill for 2 - 3 times the agreeed (we thought) price, Now the south of France, the Riviera totally different. And my personal heaven the Ile du Levant just off the coast near Toulon. Spent the best two weeks of my life camping there

First, not to be misunderstood, as with all country, a single french type don't exist.
As far as I'm concerned, it goes further : I donnot consider me first as a French.
I'm a Petrocorian Gaul, day after day forced into France republic assimilation system.
I, my Family and my ancestor's roots are much deeper and older than France state.
As a Gaul, I tend toward easy stereotypes too, making easy loud laugh about the dumbs next door.
And i consider it sane.
It's fun !
I painfully see the arrogant side of Frenches everyday too.
It's a reality, but, to my eyes, only shared by the dumbest part (the largest indeed) of my co-citizens.
And arrogance is, as far as I saw, a worldwide sport ( less maybe in S/E Asia, but may be wrong).
Please all of you Friends from all over the world, donnot merge France catastrophic politics and real people.
Don't merge Paris and Cote d'azur tourists traps and other regions, still (for an important part) deeply anchored in old traditions and culture of hard, imaginative, excellent working, politness, respect, benevolance and hospitality.
I can understand too that tour operatord do sell what arrange them best.
One French region can be a hell for someone and paradise for another.
If anyone project to visit France, i'll be happy to help choosing your right destination, according to your centres of interest.
I'm not a tour operator, got nothing to gain, except honor and respect.
Ps : General De Gaulle is not my Hero, but his decision to exit NATO had TREMENDOUS effects in terms of employements and research out there.
For 20 years, this decision was a real benefit for France Republic.
I'm a bit more upsetted by N.Sarkosy's "self", hidden decision to re-integrate NATO.
Not fair, not democratic and unconstitutional, even if I was not fully against.

I'll be glad to help anyone of you my friends in discovering my beloved region around Sarlat. People out there are direct friendly though real tough inside, food (the real one, not the restaurant's'one) is awesome.
Sure, some members from Brittany, Pays Basque, Limousin etc... Would do so too.
Don't hesitate PM me or other French members.
For me you're all welcome.
See Ya !

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite Jack. I think most here just like to joke around about different countries or areas - especially the stereotypes. I live in one of the most abused and stereotyped areas of the USA - New Jersey! Let me tell ya about the landfills..... :)

First, not to be misunderstood, as with all country, a single french type don't exist.
As far as I'm concerned, it goes further : I donnot consider me first as a French.
I'm a Petrocorian Gaul, day after day forced into France republic assimilation system.
I, my Family and my ancestor's roots are much deeper and older than France state.
As a Gaul, I tend toward easy stereotypes too, making easy loud laugh about the dumbs next door.
And i consider it sane.
It's fun !
I painfully see the arrogant side of Frenches everyday too.
It's a reality, but, to my eyes, only shared by the dumbest part (the largest indeed) of my co-citizens.
And arrogance is, as far as I saw, a worldwide sport ( less maybe in S/E Asia, but may be wrong).
Please all of you Friends from all over the world, donnot merge France catastrophic politics and real people.
Don't merge Paris and Cote d'azur tourists traps and other regions, still (for an important part) deeply anchored in old traditions and culture of hard, imaginative, excellent working, politness, respect, benevolance and hospitality.
I can understand too that tour operatord do sell what arrange them best.
One French region can be a hell for someone and paradise for another.
If anyone project to visit France, i'll be happy to help choosing your right destination, according to your centres of interest.
I'm not a tour operator, got nothing to gain, except honor and respect.
Ps : General De Gaulle is not my Hero, but his decision to exit NATO had TREMENDOUS effects in terms of employements and research out there.
For 20 years, this decision was a real benefit for France Republic.
I'm a bit more upsetted by N.Sarkosy's "self", hidden decision to re-integrate NATO.
Not fair, not democratic and unconstitutional, even if I was not fully against.

I'll be glad to help anyone of you my friends in discovering my beloved region around Sarlat. People out there are direct friendly though real tough inside, food (the real one, not the restaurant's'one) is awesome.
Sure, some members from Brittany, Pays Basque, Limousin etc... Would do so too.
Don't hesitate PM me or other French members.
For me you're all welcome.
See Ya !

France is our favourite place to holiday in, there is so much variety and history to see. The sheer space has its attractions too.
Nice and the Cote d' Azur is a really lovely area and we have passed your area on the E9 heading south and Bordeaux area too.
You are lucky to enjoy such a beautiful country.

Maybe we'll see you there one day.
Cheers
John

Chris, Abused??? Sterotyped?? Shirley you Joke? Let's see, the Jersey Devil, Toxic Avenger, Inman Country Club, Playgrounds, and happy health citizens

Attachments

• hanford-site-waste.jpg
    hanford-site-waste.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9003.jpg
    IMG_9003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • JerseyDevilIllustrationFinal.jpg
    JerseyDevilIllustrationFinal.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 96
  • bilde - Copy.jpg
    bilde - Copy.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 115
  • classofnukeemhigh.jpg
    classofnukeemhigh.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 115
Short memories:

1. French warships and gunpowder saved the American rebels.
2. The French conquered the English.
3. The Germans have been Britain's traditional european allies.
4. The Italians used to rule the show, putting Syrian soldiers into Britain to keep the natives in their place.
5. The Irish were known for hundreds of years on the west coast of Britain as raiders, slavers and violent colonists.
6. Families who can trace their ancestry in USA back to before the revolt were probably related to transported convicts.
7. In 2066 it will be 1,000 years since the English last had an English monarch.

Now who haven't I upset?

All of which is irrelevant as we are all related.

Nah, the German invaders got sacked by the Normans who arrived on Haley's comet
P.S. The Aussies mostly come from convicts too. Shows you that England threw out its best people

Last edited:
Short memories:

1. French warships and gunpowder saved the American rebels.
2. The French conquered the English.
3. The Germans have been Britain's traditional european allies.
4. The Italians used to rule the show, putting Syrian soldiers into Britain to keep the natives in their place.
5. The Irish were known for hundreds of years on the west coast of Britain as raiders, slavers and violent colonists.
6. Families who can trace their ancestry in USA back to before the revolt were probably related to transported convicts.
7. In 2066 it will be 1,000 years since the English last had an English monarch.

Now who haven't I upset?

All of which is irrelevant as we are all related.
That would be the Aussies! :D

We Yanks were the Colonists!! :lol:

Well yes sort of Grau. Starting in 1615 most transported convicts went to either North America or the West Indies. From 1718 to the revolution convicts were sent entirely to the American colonies. Mostly to the southern colonies like Georgia as a source of cheap labor. After the revolution this was no longer possible and the British turned to Australia. Botany Bay received its first convicts in 1787. From 1853 to 1868 Transportation was progressively abolished

Yes, far more convicts were sent to America than ever went to Australia. Britain kept the clever ones who didn't infringe the 11th commandment.

Ref. we are all related; I was talking to my local barman here in rural France, both of us being of the British persuasion, and talk turned to grandfathers. His was Romanian and mine Bulgarian. We agreed not to mention Dobrudzha.

Aquitane and Gascony will revert to the English. This time we are buying it one farmhouse at a time.

London is the 6th largest French city and has it's own French radio station and MP.

Last edited:
Well, my paternal grandfather came here in 1912, grandmother in 1920, Maternal grandfather in 1900, and grandmother's family in the 1880's, all from Germany.
So, ..ummm, ...
Dang this short memory!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back