Short Stirling Mk.V, 46 Sqn RAF.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Short Stirling Mk.V, 46 Sqn, RAF, India 1946, 1/72nd scale.

This is another model for the 46 Squadron 100th Annual Reunion Dinner, and will be a conversion from the venerable Airfix kit, using the Magna Models conversion kit, plus a little scratch-building.
I'm hoping I can get this done relatively quickly, as I still have two more models to build, and I only have eight weeks in which to get them all done, and delivered to Gp.Cpt Dougie Barr.
Consequently, I'll be keeping added detail to a minimum, and building this as close to 'OOB' as possible, allowing for the cutting and the addition of the resin and clear parts etc.

The Stirling Mk.V was a development of the Mk.III, converted as a cargo / passenger transport, with an extended, upward hinging nose, a large cargo door in the starboard rear fuselage, and a faired extension replacing the tail turret. In the passenger role, maximum seating was for 40 passengers, although this was more usually arranged for 14 seats, and for para dropping, 20 parachutists and their equipment could be carried. It was also used in the medivac role, when 14 stretchers were fitted.
After returning from Egypt in 1945, where 46 Sqn last operated the Mosquito NF.XII (see the Twin Engine Group Build), the Squadron disbanded, and reformed as a Transport Squadron, operating the Stirling Mk.V, and used a variety of aircraft until final disbandment in 1975, the last type being the HS Andover (my only jump from an Andover, in Germany in 1973, was from a 46 Sqn aircraft, and it's very probable that Dougie was the Navigator for the drop !).

The Airfix kit was first released in 1966, and is still listed in their current catalogue. By today's standards, the kit is fairly basic, and recently eclipsed by the two Italeri kits, but overall, it's still a decent kit, and with the addition of the Magna Models resin parts, should build into an acceptable replica of the Mk.V.

PICS 1 and 2. A Stirling Mk.V in a similar finish as planned for the model, and the subject of the model itself, PK173 of 46 Sqn, shown here after a crash on take off from St. Thomas Mount, India, in November 1946.
PICS 3 and 4. The Airfix and Magna kit boxes.
PIC 5. The Magna Models conversion parts.
PIC 6. The Airfix fuselage with the Magna nose and tail conversion parts.
PICS 7 and 8. The Magna nose and tail parts.

Next post will show what's required for the conversion, along with the work to date.

Stirling Mk V build.jpg
Stirling MkV build 2.jpg
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 001.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 002.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 006.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 012.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 010.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 009.JPG

Thanks Geo.
Work had already started on some basic internal detail in the cockpit area, as this kit was originally intended to be built for a small museum at Godmanchester, as a Mk.1, but has since been replaced by the more recent, and very detailed Italeri kit.
The work required to convert to a Mk.V looks fairly straightforward (he said with fingers crossed !), and involves the removal of a section of the nose, removal of the mid-upper turret 'taboo track' fairing (resin plug included in the Magna kit), the filling-in of some fuselage windows and the addition of some extra windows here and there, engraving the large cargo door (resin template provided), and the replacement of the tail turret with the resin tail fairing, as well as fitting the longer resin carb intakes to the engine nacelles.
As shown in the previous post, all the major parts, including the nose and tail glazing, and a new astrodome, are included in the Magna kit, which also includes decals, although unfortunately not the code letters for a 46 Sqn machine.
The extra windows will be drilled and filed to shape, and glazed with Humbrol Clear Fix.

PIC 1. Shows where he nose section has to be removed to accommodate the resin part.
PIC 2. The mid-upper turret fairing has to be removed, and 'plugged' with the resin part provided.
PIC 3. The resin template (not yet cleaned up) in place where the cargo door has to be engraved.
PICS 4 and 5. Work on the scratch-built cockpit detail so far.

I'm hoping to be able to 'crack on' with this in the next few days, and I'll post more pics when there's something to show.

Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 007.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 013.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 015.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 003.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 004.JPG

Good start Terry. I'll have to finish up my Stirling from the heavy hitters GB one of these days. Will have to start with some repair though as it took a dive off the shelf.

Thanks very much chaps.
I'm hoping it will all go together without too many snags, and it looks like it should. Got to get my skates on, as I need to get this done, as well as two Meteors, and deliver them and the Mosquito and Beaufighter by the last week in May !
Pics to follow soon.

Thanks Darryl.

The butchery ... er, I mean surgery ... has begun, preparing the parts for the addition of the resin conversion parts, with the removal of the 'Taboo Track' fairings, the tail turret mount, and the front section of the nose.

PICS 1 and 2. The 'Taboo Track' fairing was easily removed by scoring around the base, and snapping off the fairing parts, leaving a hole in the top of the fuselage, which will be plugged with the white resin part shown, and then filled and sanded flush once the fuselage is joined.
PICS 3 to 5. The tail turret base, and the internal mount were removed, and the new resin extended tail test fitted.
PICS 6 and 7. The front section of the nose has been removed, and again, the resin extended 'cargo' nose test-fitted.

Next step involved engraving the outline of the large cargo door on the starboard side, rear fuselage, shown in the following post.

Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 016.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 017.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 020.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 021.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 022.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 023.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 025.JPG

The Stirling Mk.V had a very large, hinged cargo door on the starboard side, and the Magna kit includes a rather neat resin template, along with measurements for placing this, to enable the door outline to be engraved.
The template was first cleaned-up, removing a little casting flash, before taping it in place on the fuselage half, on pre-marked lines, measured using the guide provided in the instructions.
The outline of the door was then lightly scribed, following the inside edge of the template, using a sharpened compass point in a pin vise.
The template was then removed, and the scribed line enhanced using a panel engraving tool.
The engraving has yet to be cleaned up, sanded and polished.
Next step involves cutting some new windows, and blanking-off others, before actual construction can begin.
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 026.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 027.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 028.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back