Shot in the dark (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Feb 8, 2016
Isle of Wight
I am trying to trace a Flight Engineer/Radio operator who flew Lancasters during WW2. He died last year and was an avid modeller. His friends have asked me to complete a model he was working on/never finished, a Tamiya Mk1 Spitfire. So I thought i would make it up as a plane based at one of his units (assuming that he flew something before the Lancasters because its a MK 1)

Scant details Fred Lewis Born 1922 - 2016 died in Powys so may have welsh links

I know its a long shot, but you never know

Another long shot, but you could try Aircrew Remembered web site, which might have some details, although it normally covers aircrew lost in action or accidents.
However, Flight Engineer and Radio, or Wireless Op, were two distinct trades, and it's probably unlikely he did both. It's also probable that the Spitfire model was just for interest, as again, it's unlikely he would have been directly involved with Spitfires if serving on a Lancaster squadron.

He has no connection to Spitfires at all...its just the model he failed to complete.. I'm just trying to add to the pro let by trying to make it up as a plane he may have seen.

Turns out he was with 90th Squadron... but letters claim he was at Mildenhall . I guess as part of 3rd Group who were based at Mildenhall it may have just been or administration purposes. He was a flight engineer at Tuddenham in 1944. He started out on Blenheims and was at 57OTU for a while avoiding The Fortresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back