Side Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
A workmate who's into 1:8 scale nitro RC racing has asked me to paint a body for his car. His racing colours are orange, white and blue. He wants a 4 colour camo pattern, using his three colours and black. He wants it predominately white, so it'll be easier to see when racing in the winter, a lot of the racing is done at night under flood lights, and he finds it easier to see a white car when it's at the other end of the course.

He's supplied me with the body, and some paints that are formulated for spraying polycarbonate, I think they are a laquer, a bit like Alclad, they actually etch the plastic.

SL380137.jpg

He couldn't get orange paint, so I'll have to mix it.

He also gave me some liquid mask. I'm going to do a practice run on a sheet of acetate with Tamiya acrylics, I can bring it into work and see if he approves of the pattern. Right now I've given the acetate a couple of coats of the liquid mask, it needs a few more before I start cutting out the pattern.

SL380136.jpg

This Fasmask stuff dries clear, it's a lot easier to paint on than humrol maskol, he said I can keep the bottle, I'll try it out on the Stuka canopy.

Will post more progress pics.

Sounds interesting Keith. Let me know how you get on with the liquid mask. If it's any good, can you find out the details and where to get it please? I sometimes use the Humbrol 'Maskol' stuff, but as you probably know, this can sometimes 'shrink back', especially on curved surfaces, and can take a bit of b*ggering about to mask fully.

Terry, I just cut out the first shapes for the black bits of camo, this stuff cuts beautifully! I've never been able to cut through Maskol without f*cking it up. I reckon you could paint a whole canopy with this stuff and cut the frames out no problem. It dries clear too, so it makes it even easier. Hannants don't sell it, and a quick google reveals lots of mentions of it on RC forums and RC supplies websites. I know my workmate got my bottle in a RC car/aircraft shop in Banbridge, Northern Ireland. Just did a quick search on ebay, it's on sale there too.

Thanks Keith. Can you let me know the manufacturer? I'll check with Iris at the model shop, as she does all the model car racing shows etc. BTW, I'm not totally sure about all polycarb body shells, but I believe they are normally sprayed on the inside, possibly for protection against scratching. Might be worth checking befopre you commit.

Yeah Terry, I know, you kind of have paint backwards, I watched a few tutorial vids on youtube, there's some interesting techniques.

The masking liquid is made by Parma International. Their website is : PARMA/PSE RC And Slot Car Racing They're an american company based in Ohio.

Got the 1st trial finished. I'm happy enough with the way it turned out, I think it needs more blue and black patches. On the next trial run I want to try another technique, a bit of shading around the patterns, I'll try out a few more over the next couple of days. I don't want to go near the car body until I get it right.

1st patterns cut out and sprayed black...

SL380141.jpg

2nd set of patterns cut out and sprayed blue, I also oversprayed the black bits to make them darker...

SL380142.jpg

3rd set of patterns cut out and sprayed orange....

SL380143.jpg

All masking removed and the whole thing sprayed white....

SL380147.jpg

Turn it around and heres the result....

SL380146.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back