Sigh for a Messerschmidt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
She cost me £12k!!!!! They are still rising steeply (doubled in last 5 years).

After the war, Messerschmitt were not allowed to build anything war like. So they made coin machines, vending machines. Fritz Fend had a design for a 3 wheeler so in the 1950s.....Schmitts started to roll off the same production lines in Regensberg as Me109s did in the war.

Mine was made in 1961 and went via the railway to the Hook of Holland and over to Harwich were they were met by an army of delivery drivers. She ended up in a garage in Trowbridge and was sold, She moved around and I bought her there 49 years later!!

Google the term Messerschmitt KR200......Elvis Presley even owned one!! It is a famed bubble car. She is my third (second original, the first I had to sell after my divorce).

Isn't that the same car that the protagonist drove in the movie "Brazil"? That was one wierd flick and one wierd little car.

Cheers chaps....been driving it round the airfield today....big smiles all round! I don't know the film 'Brazil'. However, in 'Mystery Men' starring Ben Stiller, Geoff Rush and a ton of others, when they drive the battle wagon out of the scrapyard, you see a Schmitt sat there.

They are a little weird, but in a day of the mundane and boring cars, she is a breath of fresh air....87 mpg!!!

I have a DB603, but it is a little below par for fitment to this KR200!

Cheers chaps....been driving it round the airfield today....big smiles all round! I don't know the film 'Brazil'. However, in 'Mystery Men' starring Ben Stiller, Geoff Rush and a ton of others, when they drive the battle wagon out of the scrapyard, you see a Schmitt sat there.

They are a little weird, but in a day of the mundane and boring cars, she is a breath of fresh air....87 mpg!!!

I have a DB603, but it is a little below par for fitment to this KR200!

Hope this works...

Attachments

• KR200.mp4
    10.6 MB · Views: 85
Great stuff! Always wanted one of those. A guy at my local Aero Club had three of them, and was deliberating whether or not to paint one as a '109! But that was back in the early 80's !
Gary, you last posted clip didn't want to work.

My Brother in Law has two of these, one of which is used for spares, but he does have the ultimate extra. A clock taken from a Me109 that crash landed in the desert near his Dads AA unit.
I cannot say how much I wanted to mount the clock, but you have to admit that its rightful place is in another Messerschmitt.

I saw one of them in Maryland in 1962 or 63. It had hit a light pole head on ! U G L Y !!!

Sorta reminded me of the Italian Isetta

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Back