Sinkhole: You have got to be $hitting me!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
Is this the most scary thing you have every seen in your life? Looks like something out of a Stephen King movie.

In this photo released by Guatemala's Presidency on Monday May 31, 2010, a sinkhole covers a street intersection in downtown Guatemala City, Monday May 31, 2010. A day earlier authorities blamed the heavy rains caused by tropical storm Agatha as the cause of the crater that swallowed a a three-story building but now say they will be conducting further studies to determine the cause. Last April 2007, another giant sinkhole in the same area killed 3 people.(AP Photo/Guatemala's Presidency, Luis Echeverria)
10:40 p.m. ET, 4/7/10

Attachments

• aptopix%20guatemala%20sinkhole--1671286166_rp350x350.jpg
    aptopix%20guatemala%20sinkhole--1671286166_rp350x350.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 302
I heard about this earlier. Looks strange to see that kind of hole there- almost unreal looking. I wonder how deep that is.

Hmmmm...call me skeptical, but the sides of that hole look WAAAAAAAAAAY too perfect to be natural. Photoshop or something man-made, perhaps? Or one heck of a mole problem. Could be wrong though...wouldn't be the first time!

Thanks for that, Gumbyk! So, looks legit. Daaaaaang!

That black spot at the bottom is way too abrupt to just be shadows forming, looks like the hole opens out into a cavern or something. I think I'd be packing my suitcase right about now, living above that monster!!!

Anyone that's lived in the mountains around here knows there are sinkholes popping up from time to time due to the limestone caves underneath just collapsing...but it is a sink hole. It sinks, falls in...slowly. If its real quick it may drop a few feet in a day and then more over a week or two.
This monstrosity is not a sinkhole, even if they call it that. Hell's Elevator would be a more fitting name for this catastrophe.

I'd like to see some pics from a RC camera drone of the interior!
Derek

That is really scary. Saw it yesterday and....

Questions:
1. How deep?
2. How much bigger (somebody already said probably a lot)?
3. How many more around (if there is a cavern)?
4. How fast can I get the hell out of dodge if I live in that neighborhood?

I think I posted a pic of the 2007 hole in my "Amazing" pics thread. These things are real - real scary! Of course I can think of better areas for this to happen that Guatamala. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back