Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Park Ridge, IL (Orchard AFB; Orchard Place) Collection (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Biographical / Historical
In 1946, President Harry Truman signed a bill establishing the Smithsonian's National Air Museum to memorialize the development of aviation; collect, preserve, and display aeronautical equipment; and provide educational material for the study of aviation. The legislation did not provide for the construction of a new building, however, and the collection soon outgrew the Museum's exhibition space. Since there was no room left in the Arts and Industries Building or the "Tin Shed," World War II aircraft and other items such as engines and missiles were stored at an abandoned aircraft factory in Park Ridge, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago.

Park Ridge, IL (Orchard AFB; Orchard Place) Collection | Collection | search=s=0&n=10&t=K&q=*&i=0 | SOVA

Until the panic created by the Korean War forced the collection to move out and downsize. (Evidently they wanted to restart aircraft production again out of this factory, but never did.) I have always been fascinated by what was there at one time and what was lost to accommodate the vacate order. Along those lines I will be posting pictures (and other material) that I believe to have been taken there, when it was still used as overflow storage for the suddenly bursting Smithsonian aircraft collection. I invite you both post and comment, and maybe we can catch a fleeting glimpse of what once was and could have been if not for...

Horten-Ho-229 w.jpg

Horten-Ho-229-2.jpg

A plane that needs no introduction, the Horton Ho IX V3. With a set of wings attached, though I think I read somewhere that they were not for this particular aircraft. Can anyone confirm or correct? Anyway, not the background for both possible aircraft identification as well as the surrounding structure. This should be in the background of any picture you post.

Douglas XB-42A Mixmaster front (1).jpg

Douglas XB-42A Mixmaster (1).jpg

Douglas XB-42A "Mixmaster", now wingless (a shame because note the ramjet and flap notch for ramjet exhaust, unique to say the least) at the National Museum of the USAF along with it's jet powered younger brother. But what is that Japanese fighter to the right of it in the first picture and does it still exist? Also, what Luftwaffe tail fin is that to the left of it in the second picture? NOTE: All directions are given in relation to you actually sitting in the cockpit of the "Mixmaster".

Last edited:
Mu guess on the Japanese fgtr is a Tony. Shinpachi will know and Wurger should be able to track the W.Nr.8433.

Screenshot_20221006-184909_Pinterest.jpg

Now we are talkin'!! Here we see the Heinkel He 219, and two planes back, the Junkers Ju 388 K(?), but what is between the two? And in the background?

I liken this to the Library of Alexandra, a once great trove of knowledge and artifacts, now diminished, scattered and some only tantalizing fragments of what once was, but are no longer.

There may even be a list somewhere of what was present at one time, spoiling this ad-hoc endeavor, but I'm erring on the side that along with some aircraft, this list may be lost, non-existant or incomplete.

Mu guess on the Japanese fgtr is a Tony. Shinpachi will know and Wurger should be able to track the W.Nr.8433.
FE-1600 Heinkel He.111H-16
(WkNr 8433) '+D(?)C''4'. Stammkennzeichen BT+KV, Geschwaderkennung 2B+DC, code 'Red 4'. Surrendered at San Severo,
north of Foggia, Italy by a defecting Hungarian pilot 14Dec44. Shipped to the USA. Foreign Equipment Branch,
Technical Data Laboratory, Air Technical Service Command, Wright Field, Dayton, OH. Foreign Evaluation Center,
Air Technical Service Command, Freeman Field, Seymour, IN. Renumbered as T2-1600.

T2-1600 Heinkel He 111H-16
(Werk Nr. 8433) Previously FE-1600. T-2 Office of Air Force Intelligence, Technical Data Laboratory, Air Materiel
Command, Wright Field, Dayton, OH. Foreign Evaluation Center, Air Technical Service Command, Freeman Field, Seymour, IN.
Awaiting disposition on the ramp at Freeman Field Aug46. Probably scrapped at Freeman Field 1946.

NOTE: Let us not discount that perhaps only the rudder made it to Park Ridge. (edited by mod. )

Last edited:
First picture in thread, under the port wing, in the background, a Heinkel He 162. Number 23 on the fuselage. Anyone make out the TE number?

Heinkel He.162
(WkNr 120222) 'White 23' Luftwaffe.

T2-493 Heinkel He 162A-2
(Werk Nr 120222) Previously FE-493. T-2 Office of Air Force Intelligence, Technical Data Laboratory,
Air Materiel Command, Wright Field, Dayton, OH. Foreign Evaluation Center, Air Technical Service Command,
Freeman Field, Seymour, IN. Set aside for proposed national aviation museum. Transferred to the aircraft
storage area, 803rd Specialized Depot, Orchard Place Airport, Park Ridge, Illinois. Scrapped at Park Ridge in 1950.

Another one gone...

Last edited:
FE-1600 Heinkel He.111H-16
(WkNr 8433) '+D(?)C''4'. Stammkennzeichen BT+KV, Geschwaderkennung 2B+DC, code 'Red 4'. Surrendered at San Severo,
north of Foggia, Italy by a defecting Hungarian pilot 14Dec44. Shipped to the USA. Foreign Equipment Branch,
Technical Data Laboratory, Air Technical Service Command, Wright Field, Dayton, OH. Foreign Evaluation Center,
Air Technical Service Command, Freeman Field, Seymour, IN. Renumbered as T2-1600.

Yep ...

13412L.jpg

the soource: Heinkel He 111 H-16

13412L-1.jpg

the source: Heinkel He 111 H-16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back