SN2 and complementart FuG202/FuG212 Radar setup on Ju-88 NF? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
I've been looking into the tech details of various Ju-88 nightfighter variants lately...and in regard to the various radar setups used by the Germans it suddenly struck my that I sofar have never seen a Ju-88 that had both SN-2 and complementary FuG202/FuG212 installed.

It occurred to me this setup can be seen on quite a few Bf-110 night fighters around the time SN2 was first introduced, due to these early SN2 models having insufficient minimum range for the NF to come within visual range without losing radar contant, and me thinks the Ju-88 and crew would have had the same problem, yet....I have never seen a Ju-88 with SN2 and complementary FuG202/FuG212 installed.

Any thoughts on this? Was it the layout and setup of the guns in the nose of the Ju-88 that made installing and extra aerial impossible? Did equipping of the Ju-88 with SN2 radar commence later compared to the Bf-110....meaning that Ju-88 was equipped with SN2b (which I believe solved the minimum range issue) from the start..and thus the need to install the additional radar was eliminated? Or am I missing something, and did the Ju-88 have this setup as well?

thanks in advance

Jelmer

Last edited:
I remember to have seen a C-series Ju 88 with both systems installed, image is a close-up of the nose and the aircraft was in a hangar. I'll try to find it.

Scan from a book page, probably from an older aircraft in action series.

Attachments

• fug_220_sn_2_radar.jpg
    fug_220_sn_2_radar.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 922
Thanks! Still, as far as I can tell, not a setup that was a whole lot used on the Ju-88, compared to the Bf-110

This could have been an experimental installation - does not look like all guns could be fired with all the antennae in front (at least with this four-antenna setup).

As an aside, does anyone have any accurate measurements of the SN-2 mounts; both the tubes the Dipoles mount onto (which I guestimate to be between 25-33mm) and the 'horned' mounts... Diagrams would be good :)

Dan

As an aside, does anyone have any accurate measurements of the SN-2 mounts; both the tubes the Dipoles mount onto (which I guestimate to be between 25-33mm) and the 'horned' mounts... Diagrams would be good :)

Dan

Look at this file on this site:
http://www.cdvandt.org/German airborne radar def.pdf
There's all kinds of info about German radar on this site and the site's originator, Mr. Arthur O. Bauer, might answer SERIOUS questions about the subject.
Bill

Upto page 9 and I see diagrams of the Dipoles and Horizontal mounts :) Just need diagrams for the 'structutal mounts' now, that connect the diapoles and their mounts to the airframes :) Cheers again Bogdan!

Upto page 9 and I see diagrams of the Dipoles and Horizontal mounts :) Just need diagrams for the 'structutal mounts' now, that connect the diapoles and their mounts to the airframes :) Cheers again Bogdan!

You are very welcome!
I have seen a diagram with at least basic measurements of the supports. 40mm comes to mind (edit: this was actually for the horizontal pole that supported the dipoles and was round, the airfoil shaped supports were 71mm deep and 33mm thick). That was the broad side of the support, they were airfoil shaped. I believe it was in the Aero Detail monograph of the Me-110. I will try to find it.
Try emailing Mr Bauer at the cdvandt site. He built a replica antenna array from an original and would probably give you the basic dimensions. I will try to find the info I have.
Regards,
Bill
PS there are lots of pictures of this array on a Me-110G at Duxford England on the internet

Last edited:
@Bogdan - PERFECT! Slightly smaller than my measure/guestimations taken with some calipers on three different sets of mounts (2x He219's (72nd and 48th) and an Me262). I had come to the estimate of 80mm x 40mm, but 71mm x 33mm is brilliant! Thinking about maybe seeing what I can get machined up :)

What is the cdvandt site??? URL?

D

@Bogdan - PERFECT! Slightly smaller than my measure/guestimations taken with some calipers on three different sets of mounts (2x He219's (72nd and 48th) and an Me262). I had come to the estimate of 80mm x 40mm, but 71mm x 33mm is brilliant! Thinking about maybe seeing what I can get machined up :)

What is the cdvandt site??? URL?

D

That was the link I gave you earlier, http://www.cdvandt.org/German airb...adar def.pdf
Just a short way of typing it.

Here's another site I just found: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2005/06/stuff_eng_benshahar_ju88.html

It shows a series of JU88 plastic models with radar arrays and one for an a/c of "Major Prinz Heinrich zu Sayn-Wittgenstein sporting FuG 202 and FuG 220 SN-2 radar"

Bill

Oh yeah! duh! should have noticed that! Its been a long week at uni... :) The ipms link seems dead tho?

cheers again

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back