Sneak Peek of my B-17 themed Hot Rod Truck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We're not done with here yet but I thought you guys might like this...the bombs are mocked up (welding them this week), 8th Air Force logo replacing the Iron Cross grill and starting work on the interior (real B-17 guages, bomber seats and harnesses) and mocking up a couple 50's coming outta the firewall in front.
Anyone wanna share any ideas???

DodgeBomber01.jpg

DodgeBomber04.jpg

DodgeBomber02.jpg

The Sweet 17 (the plane I designed the truck after):
Sweet17Stats.jpg

the lancaster kicks ass said:
that bomb's a bit big for what a B-17 could carry aint it...........
Hullo Lanc. 8) Could a Lancaster really carry double the bombs? (i noticed no one asks about your speciality) :lol:

that depends, with a drastically reduced range (we're talking barely enough to make it to mainland Europe from bases in England)m the B-17G could carry a little over 17,000lbs of bombs, however this load was never really carried in combat, the normall combat load was closer to 6,000lbs, often as low as 2,000lbs, whereas the lancaster could carry a 22,000lb Grand Slam, the largest conventional bomb ever made, to almost any part of Germany, so the plane's maximum payloads aren't a million miles apart, but combat loads are, the lanc carrying, at times although not that often, nearly 4 times as much..........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
that depends, with a drastically reduced range (we're talking barely enough to make it to mainland Europe from bases in England)m the B-17G could carry a little over 17,000lbs of bombs, however this load was never really carried in combat, the normall combat load was closer to 6,000lbs, often as low as 2,000lbs, whereas the lancaster could carry a 22,000lb Grand Slam, the largest conventional bomb ever made, to almost any part of Germany, so the plane's maximum payloads aren't a million miles apart, but combat loads are, the lanc carrying, at times although not that often, nearly 4 times as much..........
That's quite amazing actually... Some time ago i thought they were about equal.

Chocks away! said:
Although I just remembered: One big weakness of the Lanc is the vulnerability of it's underneath-no proper turret...

Yeah ok, this would have helped, but the downside would have been a smaller bomb bay, resulting in less payload, more air resistance and more weight meaning less range and less manouverability. Lancasters were highly manouverable and could evade many German Nightfighters.

It was a trade-off, pure and simple. I think the desired effect was achieved, with a higher bomb load and greater manoeuvrability, as you mentioned CC.

Chocks Away...the Iron Crosses are a biker/hot rodder thing. My buddy (who did the grill) had a Iron Cross theme going (grill, taillights, earrings on pinup girl and pinstriping on back of cab)...long story short? Yeah, it was a previous theme!

JCS said, "What does the Hs123 have to do with what CC said?"

I believe there was a nightfighter variant of the Hs 123. It was a joke regarding the Lancaster's ability to out manuever night fighters. (apparently it didn't go over very well :oops: )

It was a joke regarding the Lancaster's ability to out manuever night fighters. (apparently it didn't go over very well :oops: )

Oh :lol:

I didnt let the page fully load before I replied so I didnt see the emoticon after it, If I did I would've got it.....

cheddar cheese said:
Chocks away! said:
Although I just remembered: One big weakness of the Lanc is the vulnerability of it's underneath-no proper turret...

Yeah ok, this would have helped, but the downside would have been a smaller bomb bay, resulting in less payload, more air resistance and more weight meaning less range and less manouverability. Lancasters were highly manouverable and could evade many German Nightfighters.

hey, you sound like me, stop learning from me!!

NOW!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back