So...its time I started searching for my first gun! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Watanbe

Senior Airman
Apr 24, 2007
Adelaide
I was wondering if any of the forum members could help me out!

I have been hunting and shooting a couple of times and I really enjoy firing guns and I'm looking at purchasing one! I plan on getting a rifle! In terms of larger guns I have shot only a .223 and a 12 gauge so I have relatively little experience!

Another issue is that I would really love a WW2 era bolt action rifle, but I'm not sure its a good idea! Something like a Lee Enfield No.4! Either way I would probably be spending around $500 Australian! Does anyone have experience with the older big caliber bolt action rifles? Should I be looking at getting something like a .22 or a .223 to start with?

Which particular models are good? My friend is currently about to buy a CZ. Bolt action .22 for a bit of fun!

what sort of hunting are you considering? A 303 is good for bigger stuff, but a 22 will do for rabbits.

I think the american style lever action is a lot of fun, and the fastest that you can get legally in Aus

I think the ban covers only semiautomatic weapons.

A bolt action CZ in .243 or 308 would be great as all around hunting rifle

Thanks parsifal, I wasn't sure on the weapon limitations over there!

So that rules out a Ruger Mini14...lol

Seriously though, a good entry level rifle would be the Winchester or Remington bolt-action .243 which has good performance for a variety of game.

The ammo isn't terribly expensive, either.

If you are into plinking and target shooting at 50 yards or less then a .22 is cheap and easy.

For long range target shooting a .308 is the way to go.

Shooting clays with a 12 gauge is fun also.

A cheaper military rifle is a Mosin-Nagant. It would set you back $80 to $100 here in the states. Not sure about Australia though.

Here I am shooting my favorite; the .308.
HPIM3000.jpg
[/IMG]

I am a big fan of the Mosin Nagant but I think they are harder to find in Australia! I will be shooting at my mates property which has Kangaroo's and a .223 is sufficient to take out a roo! I probably wouldn't need much larger than that!

What do people think about the WW2 era rifles, are they practical to own, are they a bad idea as a first weapon?

Want to get good? Get a .22 (the Ruger 10/22 is a nice choice) and shoot the crap out of it. .22LR is absurdly cheap and you will get so much better shooting 2000 rounds of it than 100 rounds of .223 or .308.

I own an Lee Enfield Mk I. Can't go wrong for nostalgia, simplicity, knockdown power and beauty. But .303 is fairly expensive.

First rifle, I would get a Ruger 10/22. Cheap ammo. Will kill anything with enough pulls of the trigger. And you can always upgrade it as time goes along. I''ve put a 1" bull barrel on mine, new stock and a 3x-9x variable scope. It is an absolute tack driver. And 25rd magazines are a plus. You can buy after market triggers, high capacity magazines, sights, etc.

If you can't purchase a semi-auto, a 16" barrelled Winchester lever action in .357Mag is a good choice. You can shoot .357Mag 200gr flat points for serious targets or .38Spcl for plinking. This is a REALLY compact and light rifle that is suited for outdoors as well as next to your bed.

For classics a Lee or a K98 Mauser are great solid guns, .303 and 8mm respectively. As for a "normal" rifle CZ makes tack drivers. I have a CZ 527 Varmint in a .223 and it prints nice little groups. For ease of ammo purchase I would think ,22lr, .223, and .308 are probably the most universal used ammo especially when it comes to buying cheap stuff. Those 3 calibers will cover just about anything up to elk size animal at reasonable ranges.

Straight up, ur first rifle should be a Ruger 10/22... It'll get u started right, allow u to plunk small varmits and the like, and gear u up for something bigger....

U wanna go with something alittle bigger that can go for bigger game, buy urself a .308 and have some fun...

Either one of those 2 should be ur first purchase.....

I have a Mauser, two Enfields, and two Nagants, but with the cost of ammo, I have the most fun with my .22LR Marlin.

Well I cant legally own a semi-auto rifle in Australia it has to be bolt or lever action! I kind of prefer a bolt action though to be fair haven't really experienced lever action!

Thanks for your advice guys! I think I will stay away from a historic gun for a while!

It is very hard and very expensive to get a license to own a Pistol in Australia! However if you go to a firing range and pay a certain amount you can shoot them! I would love to shoot a .45 Colt pistol, they are my favourite! Haha sadly i've only shot 9mm, although that was a pleasure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back