some F35 info (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I just ran across a neat article about a recent USMC exercise in SoCal involving an F-35B, a MV-22B, UH-1Ys, and a USN MH-60R: https://www.twz.com/sea/how-f-35s-deployed-to-a-narrow-highway-in-california

What tickled me was one particular comment in the article by VMX-1's Operational Test Director, Lt. Col. Robert 'Champ' Guyette... ""I'm really excited. One of the things I didn't anticipate coming to this job was how excited I would be to learn how to kill submarines. Marines just like killing everything, you know, I mean, it's what we do. And so the opportunity to kill something new is exciting. And so submarines are on the menu now for the Marine Corps."

One of the postings in the comments said "This might be just about the most Marine thing I have ever read. So this is why they gave space to the AF instead of the Navy... Can't trust the Marines not to initiate a hostile "first contact" when presented with the opportunity to put a new species on the menu.".

%3Fauto%3Dwebp&fb_obo=1&utld=twz.com&stp=c0.5000x0.jpg

Here is where this exercise took place - look in the upper left of the area shot between the Provost Marshal's Office access and Vista Point , then note the area in the red box in the close-up:

STOL 101 Camp Pendleton large.jpg

STOL 101 Camp Pendleton.jpg

Last edited:

The U.S. Air Force would receive enough money to buy 51 F-35A fighter jets in fiscal 2024 under the compromise Pentagon spending bill lawmakers released Thursday — three more than the service originally requested.

If enacted, the allotment would mark the most Joint Strike Fighters the Air Force has bought in a single year since 2021, when it procured 60. The service had included 48 F-35As in its fiscal 2024 budget request.

The FY24 defense appropriations bill would provide the Air Force more than $5.2 billion for F-35A procurement, an increase of nearly $361 million over the original budget request. The program increase of three additional F-35As would account for $277 million of that growth.

The purchase would still remain far below the minimum annual buy of 72 F-35s the service argued for years it needed to modernize its fighter fleet, while keeping up with the pace of older jets leaving the inventory. The Air Force plans to buy more than 1,700 F-35As, totaling nearly $250 billion, over the life of the program, according to FY25 budget documents.

Congress in FY24 also looks to give the Marine Corps and Navy funds for 16 short-takeoff-and-vertical-landing F-35Bs as well as 19 F-35Cs, which can take off and land from aircraft carriers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back