some finished models (1/48+1/72)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
Finished product

1/48 Hobbycraft Hurri MK.IId flying can opener
IMG_2784.jpg

1/72 Airfix (new tool) Hurri MK.IIc...gotta love the SEAC scheme..never thought it would wotk this well
37-Hurricane02.jpg

A 1/48 Hasegawa BF-109F (Marseille) ...which is just about finished
19-plakkerts01.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. I'm not totally sure, as there were some exceptions, but by the time the white bands were applied to RAF SEAC Hurricanes, in 1945, the camouflage scheme normally remained in the green and grey as delivered from the UK. Previously, the aircraft were re-painted with Dark Earth over the Ocean Grey at the MUs in India. Still looks good though, and I agree about the SEAC schemes - I'm just finishing a Hurricane MkIIc flown by Bob Cross in 1943, highest scoring RAF pilot in SEAC.

You could be right about that. I've seen 'em too with white ID bands and without...but the the truth of the matter is the SEAC Hurricane was a bit of "let's have fun building and not get cought up in what references say about a particular aircraft" I had/have various projects on the go and was becoming fed up with tons of research and reference material piling up in my hobby room. So, I just went with what the instructions said. In addition I find the white ID bands match very well to the SEAC-scheme to kind of 'break things up' in an interesting way, not unlike say a sky band on a Spitfire does.

Never really looked into the SEAC operations as such and this was my first SEAC A/C, but I like the scheme a lot and intend to do some more. A mossie FB.VI and a P-47D Razorback to begin with, and perhaps another Hurri (1/48 Hasegawa IIC) too.

Good enough reason!
I too knew very little about SEAC (or more correctly, ACSEA) operations, until commencing the research for the first Bob Cross aircraft build (Spit MkVIII), for relatives of Bob. Needless to say, there was a mammoth effort, especially from Max, husband of Bob's niece, who checked records in the National Archives, and obtained Bob's Log Book from the family.
I tried finding a Hasegawa Hurricane MkIIc for the second build, but without luck, and had to work on the 1964 issue Monogram kit, posted elsewhere on the forum.

These Hasegawa Hurri's are indeed hard to come by (the MK.I can be found here and there though on occasion, but others not so much) Not sure about the accuracy of the Monogram kit, but if you're willing to walk the extra mile (in terms of detailing/upgrading parts etc.) that too can without a doubt be turned into a very good looking model

My LHS also has some second hand kits every so often (people cleaning out their stash from time to time dropping kits at his shop) and I was lucky enough to find a MK.IIc 1/48 there for less then half the price (being second hand and all, plastic seals removes, box opened etc) Even though it might be a little while before I start it, I'm happy to have found myself one. Have another in sight at an auction site (a 1/48 Hase Sea Hurricane MK.Ia) not exactly discount price, but given the difficulty to find one I'm considering getting that one too for sure.

Last edited:
I'd get it if I were you! As you say, the Mk1 could be found, but the MkIIc is like hen's teeth!
The Monogram kit is fairly accurate overall, apart from the fin is not offset, and it's slightly wide in the fuselage around the cockpit and mid section, but not really noticeable. Also, the wings are really a Mk1 or, barely, a MkIIb, but easily rectified. You can see what I've done with it in the 'Start to Finish' builds section, under 136 Sqn Hurricane.

THX Vic,

Indeed you may be detecting some sun-shading, mainly on the 1/48 Hurri and the 1/48 109 as these are desert machines standing in the burning north-african sun. Sun-shading on the hurricane was done with the airbrush alone. I'm still working on the 109 and in addition to shading with the airbrush I've also given oil paints ago on that one. On the 109 this isn't yet finished as it's a very time consuming proces but it'll get finished sometime in the near future hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back