Some Help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Catch: Every carrier I was ever on had a "battleship gray" flight deck.
Everything else was "haze gray". Numbers on the bow of the flight deck
were white.

Charles

Charles: But what about fight decks covered of wood.Were these still in using in that time? I thought these were painted as well ,but of what colour, white?

Hmmmmm. Never been on a carrier with a wooden deck !!! I'm sure they were not white. Gotta do some checking...

Charles

So it seems that later US carriers didn't have wooden covered flight decks at all.

Ahh... Your answer has appeared exactly in the same time when my .
Thank you Charles.:D

Uss Wasp used Blue flight Deck stain No.21 which, as I understand it is a Blue-Grey colour.
In early 1945 it was revised and darkened to about the same colour as Deck Blue 20-B. which equals FS35042.

Will attempt to confirm the actual colours, along with Franklin....unless Wurger gets in first!:D :D

Heres two pics from the Yorktown during Midway notice in the repair pick the ax in use but they must of put something over the wood?Anyway I have seen diaroma plates depict wood decks was these intended for Japanese Decks then?just noticed the fella in the 2nd pick bought it to the back left.hmmn

Attachments

• g312018.jpg
    g312018.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 93
  • g312020.jpg
    g312020.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 85
Catch, the Franklin was initially painted in camouflage measure 32/6A which changed to 32/6A-3A when the port side was repainted making her the only carrier to be painted with 2 different designs, during this period up to Dec 44 she used Flight Deck stain 21. In Jan 45 the flight deck continued to be No.21 while the primary Camo was repainted to measure 21 consisting of navy Blue (5-N) on all vertical surfaces.

Now from looking at various sources and to keep it simple, given your paint sources I would suggest Tamiya XF-18 Medium Blue as Flight deck stain 21.
Paint your deck straight out of the bottle, then add a small amount of white to lighten it and mist it on in a cloudy type irregular pattern to help simulate weathering, this should be followed by some light dry brushing as well.
Now this is not a perfect match but it wil give you a reasonable facsimile of what you are after, I think!
It is certainly what I will be trying when I get to the painting stage of my USS Essex (CV-9)

Now Deck Blue 20-B revised is a Dark Blue colour and I will also be trying this as well on other US carriers using XF-50 Field Blue with white and black added to create the deck colour with dry brushing of the lighter variation also.

You could also try to get hold of the White Ensign Enamels for the 2 colours which are correctly matched to the proper US colours, these are,
US 11 Flight Deck Stain 21
US 10 Revised Deck Blue 20-B

Hope this helps...:D

Oh, and Wasp also used Flight Deck Stain 21, and using Camo design 33/10A

Mr. Little, thank you VERY much for the info, it is exactly what I needed. I will be doing either the Franklin or the Wasp, like I said, but I'm not sure which just yet, so it's great that you gave me the info for both! I will be doing a Corsair and an Avenger in the markings of whatever carrier I choose, and MAYBE a Hellcat and Helldiver. I should be getting the Corsair tomorrow, but I won't be able to start it until Thursday.

Lucky: Great pictures!

great shots Lucky!

Now that you have some colour shot deck reference Catch, you have another choice to make, Just how weathered you want to make your deck??

I was trying to avoid the wood colour base option with blue over coat to keep it simple for you!:)

I won't go crazy, and I'll have to keep it simple. I'll make more of a choice once I actually am in a position to build the deck, though I will probably use your original suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back