Something to ponder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
maybe we all can just slow down abit in 2009

from a forward from a relative this morn ...........

A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats average $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of an social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

Thanks for that Erich.

It's very sad, but it is true that our daily lives seem so busy and our own concerns so important to us (but to noone else usually) that we don't even stop now and again to enjoy or appreciate the very things that would make our day more tolerable... or more simply put, we spend too much time worrying about the negative things, to notice the positive...

Excellent post Erich, it's true that people are too busy to stop and appreciate life. I believe Ferris Bueller said it best, " Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

...we don't even stop now and again to enjoy or appreciate the very things that would make our day more tolerable... or more simply put, we spend too much time worrying about the negative things, to notice the positive...
Like capitalism for example
it's gone far beyond oiling the wheels of our society, it's become an end in itself; we chase it far too hard, profits, financial deadlines, they rob us of our leisure time, tear us away from our families, chip away at our health and blinker us from what's really important.

Far from capitalism serving society, the two seem to have become indistinguishable; the whole sick parody is that it has inverted itself, we now serve capitalism rather than it serving us, such is the magnitude of what is asks of us, the sacrifices it demands. Never enough hours in the day.

And look where we are today, globally, mega-corporations and financial institutions having billions pumped into them like some bizarre, gigantic self-infused blood transfusion, pumping the revenues of our greed back into the very systems that produced them, in some desperate attempt to stay upright.

Companies going to the wall daily, ordinary, decent people losing jobs, then homes.

When all we needed to do was look up when we heard the sound of a violin played beautifully. And appreciate it.

Prince did something similar in London a few years ago, he dressed up as bum and busked with a guitar in Hyde Park, nobody stopped to listen either.

It's also a reflection on modern perceptions of music.

Music is now visually driven even more so than aurally. This same experiment was done a number of years ago in Australia with one of worlds leading guitarists Tommy Emanuel. Again he played with little recognition from passersby.

Again it's also the group mentality like ' if no one else has stopped to listen it must not be any good'.

Good points guys and most definately slowing down is something that needs to be practised more!

Wait a sec... GrauGeist... you are from Redding? I used to live there and go there often (enough). Its a small world.

'Tis a sad sad world we live in, yes. I've got a poem someone gave me once along these lines, I'll try to find it and post it, if nobody minds.

go ahead Rabid, after messing with numerous phone calls about my in-laws this past week and this week, yes it is time for me to reflect and adjust my insane business schedule as it is going to be necessary to visit in-laws to the north that might not have much time left on this earth

the old saying is true " life is short " ~ breathe in breathe out, time for a break in my life ~

Its kinda long, but the guy's writing style makes it more like a story than a poem. His stuff's pretty good!

NELLIE'S TALE

It happened on a cloudy day,
a damp chill in the air,
the fog a shroud along the shores
to cover all that's there.

I wandered by the river's side
as it, uncaring, made
its way, so inexorable,
into the windswept bay.

My thoughts a-tumble: just that week
momentous tidings came,
promotions, raises offered me,
a chance to make my name.

But few glad tidings come along
without a string attached:
across the country I must move
my life, picked up, detached

from all I know and care about
and elsewhere start anew.
Decisions weigh upon my mind…
what would my conscience do?

Uproot for now in search of wealth
and fame, security?
Or let this pass, remain behind
with Her, who cares for me?

A fallen log near beckons me
and so I rest awhile
to gather up my spinning thoughts
from out their jumbled pile.

I presently became aware
that I was not alone!
I did not hear her soft approach
beneath the windy moan.

Indeed, until she softly spoke
I knew not she was there:
one moment she was sitting where
before the log was bare.

"You ponder deeply, my young friend,"
the silence she did break,
her voice so quiet and so soft
I leaned forth as she spake.

"Perchance ye will indulge me now,
a woman old in years,
to give a bit of my advice
if ye have willing ears?"

She turned to me her piercing gaze
as if to seek assent,
and, mesmerized, I nodded once
as, speaking, on she went.

"Ye face before ye now a choice,
'tis difficult to choose
for on this hinges all thy Life:
ye could gain all. Or lose

"all that ye've striven to achieve
for lo these many years.
They heart is heavy, thoughts a-mess
weighed down by countless fears.

"Thy fortune, fame, and rich success
do lie down yonder road
if ye do say but one small word
and shoulder now this Load.

"Along the other path I see
there waits obscurity.
Thy wealth is nonexistent there,
and yet, thy heart is free.

"Allow me now to tell a tale,
t'was old before thy day,
but heed now what I speak to thee,
and close attention pay.

"For once there lived a man like thee,
with choices to be made.
I now shall tell of what he did
and of the price he paid.

"A simple man with dreams of more,
he worked and saved and planned,
and by the ev'ning's fireplace
he held his True Love's hand.

"He promised her his love unchecked
and held back not a part
of his own strong, courageous, brave
and stoutly trusting heart.

"She, in return, gave unto him
her heart and soul, her all.
They swore that they would never part,
their love would never pall.

"As days did pass their love did grow
into a wond'rous thing!
And even in the deepest cold
of Night, t'would feel like Spring!

"But deep inside he did despair
and spake his fears to her:
that she would have to pass her days
upon this mortal earth

"without the riches she deserved
and that he longed to give.
And so he gave his oath to her:
as long as he did live

"his conscience would not let him ask
for her dear loving hand
unless he could remove her to
a better promised land.

"She begged him not to journey off,
she loved him as he was.
She plead with all her stricken heart,
tears tracking through the dust

"upon her cheeks so pale and wan,
like ashes on her head.
Her spirit reeled that day he left,
died when she heard him dead.

"The folk in town, they did their best
to ease her grieving pain
God bless their souls! But Nellie died
and they did strive in vain.

"Oh, she lived on for many years
beyond that telegram
that brought the news from far away,
the passing of her Sam.

"A choice was made, a path was trod,
and there for fifteen years
she waited for her man to come
and wipe away her tears.

"But naught was ever good enough,
so went his reasoning.
He threw his life into the chase
of his elusive dream

"until the day he met his end
and took unto his grave
his wealth, his honors, and his name,
but none his heart could save.

"And so, my friend, ye face a choice
that ye this day must make.
Consider well my poor Sam's tale
before it be too late."

I sat there staring at the fog.
How long? I do not know.
But lost in thought I did not hear
her rise, nor turn to go.

Now presently, I made my way
back to my simple town,
back to the office did I walk,
before my boss sat down.

"I think that I, regretfully,
your offer must decline,"
I said to him with all my heart.
"Its simply not the time.

"For I must follow my Heart's path
and go where Conscience leads,
and if this causes problems, sir,
you've my apologies."

Formalities were said and done,
my job remained intact.
I left the office building then,
upon my choice to act.

And looking back unto this day,
'tis one I don't regret.
For though we are not blessed with wealth
we live without a debt,

and more important, yes, by far,
our lives are full of Love
for which I daily thank the Lord
in Heaven up Above.

One thing remains about that day
I still can't comprehend…
poor Nellie's steadfast love for Sam
could not be shaken, bent:

a love so strong to conquer all,
enduring ev'ry blow
and still remains, though Nellie died
two hundred years ago.

-jkl
04/24/2003

I enjoy visiting my grandma's small farm in Northern Iowa, near Clear Lake. My 2 favorite uncles inherited after my grandma passed on. I love going there to relax and get away. I am flooded with memories of the 30 years I have spent there through the years growing up. My favorite place on Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back