Son of a P-38/P-40 driver (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

shatto

Recruit
Mar 31, 2007
The Bay Area, California
Help please, tracking down places, etc.

My father flew P-40's in the Aleutians in 42-43. Maybe P-38's too.
He was in charge of test-flying repaired planes at the Portland Army Air Base, in 1943-44, maybe into 45. Must have been into 45, as I was born in 45 in Portland.

I'd like to track down some record of his service, so a point in the right direction would help.

Name, rank, serial number, unit assigned to??? ANy other info???

Yeah, Les has it. You will need all those details. If your father is no longer living, and you are next of kin, you can get his service records from the Govt. But you will need the above information for them to track him down.

It's always good to have a copy of that info on hand anyway. I know exactly where my DD-214 is at all times. I have been meaning to order my whole service record. I would be curious to see what is still redacted.

When ordering service records, order the complete file. Otherwise, they send you a summary file with the major stuff covered and no real detail. I ordered the complete records for my GGG grandfather (civil war) and got a huge manila envelope that included his muster records, sick call cards, casualty report and pension papers. The summary report would have basically had a high level view of his service. The complete records will really give you insight to their wartime whereabouts and what they did.

It's always good to have a copy of that info on hand anyway. I know exactly where my DD-214 is at all times. I have been meaning to order my whole service record. I would be curious to see what is still redacted.

Exactly, I have like 10 copies of mine and they are all in a fire proof safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back