eBay: Soviet Airforce and other arms

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I16 fixed gear uti-4 trainer

s-l1600.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
:thumbright:

A note though. It's not the UTI kite. That's the I-16 with the windshield like the UTI-4 had. The landing gear propably fixed but it is not obvious. It's very likely the landing grear door could have been removed only

:thumbright:

A note though. It's not the UTI kite. That's the I-16 with the windshield like the UTI-4 had. The landing gear propably fixed but it is not obvious. It's very likely the landing grear door could have been removed only
I do think gear is fixed

1671104632478.png

Last edited:
I do think gear is fixed

View attachment 698652

It is very difficult to state if the landing gear of the I-16 was retractable or fixed. Especially, if the wheel bay doors were removed. Actually there weren't two different landing gears. Just either it was possible to retract it or it was lowered down and blocked. See the pics below.

i16_d.jpg

i16_.jpg

i16_b.jpg

There are two details that make the ID possible. Both of them are very difficult to notice. These are, the wheel bays and the retracting cables. You may notice in the images below that the wheel bays could be sealed with the fabric patches or plywood usually. But it wasn't a rule and there were I-16s and UTI variants with the wheel bays left open although the landing gear was extended all the time.

i16_a.jpg

i16_a1.jpg

i16_a2.jpg

Here is enlarged shot of the I-16 wheel with the cable for retracting seen ...

i16_c.jpg

In your enlarged shot both details can be noticed. Therefore I've suggested that the landing gear had the doors removed and could be retractable . But certainly , it could be lowered down and blocked what we may call the fixed one.

i16_e.jpg

the pic source: Polikarpov's I-16 types

Yak-9 aircraft with VK-107A engine. Technical description. Book three. Description of construction and special equipment. Oborongiz. 1948

I.G.

1673174958820.png

1673174985517.png

1673174999007.png

1673175037055.png

Attachments

• Yak-9 aircraft with VK-107A engine. Technical description. Book three. Description of construc...pdf
    39.7 MB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back