Spad VII C1 - Roden kit in 1:32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
My Albatros is still waiting to be completed, but in the mean time I was thinking to a bird on the other side of the front-line and my decision fall on this kit:

kit Roden.jpg

The idea is to replicate an Italian bird, may be this one:

Spad_VII_Cabruna.jpg

but I still have to decide.

As usual I started from the pilot office and the engine, here a few pictures:

DSCN1373.JPG
DSCN1371.JPG
DSCN1372.JPG

Exaust pipes are just dry fitted.
Some more to follow soon.
Alberto

Alberto, you've been a tremendous advance !!
It is impressive wood finish that cockpit.

Sarò molto attento per il tuo progresso !!

Saludos:thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Many thanks for all comments, really appreciated.
I have a question, if someone know the answer.
In order to leave at least 1/2 of the engine visible, I'm planning to position the left side cowling in open position, but so far I wasn't able to find a picture showing how that is hinged, does anybody know the answer?
Many thanks in advance.
Alberto

I don't presume to know, its a guess, but Ill have a go....The museum display shows a cover plate that appears to be bolted or screwed to the main fuselage skin. There also appears to be an inspection plate sitting on the top, above the exhaust cowls. I cant make out if there are any removable panels from the underside of the fuselage.

Not much help, I know.....l

I will continue searching but what I found so far is a very good picture of a Spad XIII, with two mg, instead of one, and the upper cowl looks to be in a single piece, so probably I want to have the possibility to show the engine, will have to glue together the two cowl parts and leave them removable. Otherwise I glue everything in place a put a picture of the engine next to the model ...
Alberto
Spad XIII.jpg

Here a couple of shots of Spad 7.C1 engine cowling I found via the net. It seems that the early Spad 7 had a kind of reticular side panels. The later one had the plate grills. I hope these images can come in handy.

Spad7C1_a.jpg

Spad7C1_b.jpg

Spad7C1_c.jpg

Spad7C1_d.jpg

Spad7C1_e.jpg

Last edited:
Here a couple of shots of Spad 7.C1 engine cowling I found via the net. It seems that the early Spad 7 had a kind of reticular side panels. The later one had the plate grills. I hope these images can come in handy.

View attachment 291127

View attachment 291128

View attachment 291129

View attachment 291130

View attachment 291131

Many thanks,
your pictures answer all my questions: upper cover is one piece, that's it.
Making it removable will not work because it requested some "education" to sit in its place.
What I can possibly consider is to leave open one of the side panels, not grills in my case,but not much will be seen in any case.
Spad_VII_Cabruna.jpg

Alberto

I actually have to respectfully disagree. I think the photos show inspection plate(s) either side of the MG(s) on the top deck, held in place with fasteners of some description. They look removable to me.

So you might get glimpses of the top of the engine with this plate(s) removed.

I actually have to respectfully disagree. I think the photos show inspection plate(s) either side of the MG(s) on the top deck, held in place with fasteners of some description. They look removable to me.

So you might get glimpses of the top of the engine with this plate(s) removed.

Many thanks Parsifal for your comment; yours is a very good idea I will see if I can do what you suggested but everything is glued already ...
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back