Spare parts...... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I cut'em loose and sort them by size into a parts drawer/cabinet. That way I'm not digging through the whole thing to find small bits. Large parts go in the spares box.

Yes, some things like certain parts for cockpits I'll label but the ordance is generally interchangeable so I glue them and don't need to worry about them.

I keep mine in one of the organizing boxes with the 18 different drawers by what they are (ie guns, engines, glass etc etc). It's interesting whenever I have to go through them looking for parts as I remember the model they went to and where I was at when I got it. Kinda like a scrap book for me.

My wife can't understand wheniI need a part and remember putting it away. I just bought a model with a deformed canopy and went right to the canopy drawer and found it. She says "You're Sick !"
Ed

I don't have enough spare parts to have 18 drawers so I just keep them in an old kit box for now. I try and keep them on the sprees but cut them down to just the parts I'm keeping. the rest gets tossed

Here's my system

Attachments

• partssystem.jpg
    partssystem.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 79
Have boxes of them, cut from the spruce, big bits in one old model box (currently old Phantom box), mid size bits in another old box (former Stuka), small bits sorted into odd shapes, round bits, straight bits, clear bits etc and have a box full odds and ends like wire, mesh, electric cable, the foil from Champaign bottles, the list goes on. Never throw anything away.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

You can guarantee that once you've thrown away a part, you'll start a project where that wheel could have been used as a jet nozzle or something! I lost my 'main' spares box in a house move - thirty odd years worth of assorted bits and pieces, and usable parts from smashed models! I still go looking for parts I knew I once had, but are long gone!

How do you have extra fuselage halves?

Those are AMT Stinson Reliant fuselage halves. I bought all the local hobby store's supply when they marked them down to $1.99 ea. MANY years ago. I still have 3 unopened copies of the kit. Along with 3 Beech Staggerwings. I have used the wings, seats, interior, stearing wheel, spatted undercarriage etc. on scratchbuild/kitbashing projects. See my UC-70 scratchbuild thread for an example of the interior parts and spatted wheels being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back