Spit Vc in RAAF Use and Neg 'G' cutout.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

peril

Airman
Mar 17, 2007
Brisbane
www.targetrabaul.com
Did the Spits Vc in RAAF use have the older carbys fitted and therefore suffer neg G issues?

I note reference in Wilsons book to Merlin 45s and Merlin 50s being delivered in different batches of RAAF Spit VCs, but is it likely the Merlin 45s were retro fitted with neg G carbys this late in the war anyway (delivered RAAF 08/42)???

Thoughts??

Did the Spits Vc in RAAF use have the older carbys fitted and therefore suffer neg G issues?

I note reference in Wilsons book to Merlin 45s and Merlin 50s being delivered in different batches of RAAF Spit VCs, but is it likely the Merlin 45s were retro fitted with neg G carbys this late in the war anyway (delivered RAAF 08/42)???

Thoughts??

All I've found so far

M45 -Merlin 45 - Va, Vb and Vc
M45M - Merlin 45M - LF Va, b and c
M45N - Merlin 45N - Va, Vb and Vc
M46 - Merlin 46 - Va, Vb and Vc
M46N - Merlin 46N - Va, Vb and Vc
M50 - Merlin 50 - Va, Vb and Vc
M50A - Merlin 50A - Va, Vb and Vc
M50M - Merlin 50M - LF Va, b and c
M55 - Merlin 55 - Vc
M55M - Merlin 55M - LF Va, b and c
M56C - Merlin 56C - Vc

I've also isolated a batch of Spitfire Vs that were shipped to Australia, all of which went through various Maintenance Units eg 6MU and 9MU prior to departure but AR510 went through 38MU and is listed as follows:-

AR510 Vc M46 38MU 29-6-42 VSM 8-9 fuel system mods 52MU 5-10 Waranooga 13-10 Australia 24-12

It doesn't expand on the fuel system mods but I'll see if I can develop the pattern (might take a while).

All I've found so far

M45N - Merlin 45N - Va, Vb and Vc
M46N - Merlin 46N - Va, Vb and Vc
M56C - Merlin 56C - Vc

It doesn't expand on the fuel system mods but I'll see if I can develop the pattern (might take a while).

None of the Rolls-Royce Engine Lists I have ever mention Merlin 45N, 46N or 56C types.
Can you expand on the characteristics of these varients. please?

Hi Jerry
I'm not ignoring you, it's just that my previous post was put together from two sources, I included the engine list so that the aircraft data made a bit more sense; unfortunately, I can't remember where I got the engine list from but I'm still looking. Mildly embarrassing. :oops:

Get back to you

Well
I can't find it
which is troubling me, I don't carry that kind of information around in my head, so I had to have typed it from somewhere. It'll surface but I don't know when.

In the meantime, what happened to your fellow country-man, the one who instigated the thread? Am I taking the right tack with the information supplied or was he after something different?

If it's right I can keep ploughing through the list and see if we can create a big jigsaw piece, if not the whole picture.

I'm here, bit busy but around, this is the kind of stuff I want to see.

Thanks for this, my concern is did RAAF have neg "G" issues in their first shipment of Spit VCs seeing that they are listed as Merlin 40 series no 50s. I understand retro fitting may have occurred, but how do we know for sure??

I could find a representative batch of Merlin 50-equipped Mk Vs and another of Merlin 45-equipped Mk Vs and see if the term fuel system mods crops up as a regular feature of the Merlin 45 list; not definitive by any means but pretty telling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back