Spit XIV wheel well

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jamesrwjim

Airman
Oct 27, 2012
Washington state
Hi all I have been searching high and low for a picture of a spitfire XIV wheel well. I have found everything but. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you. Jim

Lucky devil - I've been looking for another Hobbycraft kit, and just missed one at a supplier I use, and can't find another anywhere!
Anyway, the wheel well and tunnel were little changed during the life of the Spit, and there is no detail to be seen, especially in 1/48th scale. The only real 'detail' as such, apart from stiffening ribs in the 'roof', is behind the knuckle of the retraction hinge, which can only be seen on the real thing by some contortion!
Colours could be entirely the underside colour, or Cockpit Grey- Green roof, with tunnel walls and well sides in underside colour.
Note that you will need to alter the 'step' at the rear of the cockpit, beneath the rear glazing, and preferably use an after market canopy, as this area is incorrect, and canopy not very good at all.

Lucky devil - I've been looking for another Hobbycraft kit, and just missed one at a supplier I use, and can't find another anywhere!
Anyway, the wheel well and tunnel were little changed during the life of the Spit, and there is no detail to be seen, especially in 1/48th scale. The only real 'detail' as such, apart from stiffening ribs in the 'roof', is behind the knuckle of the retraction hinge, which can only be seen on the real thing by some contortion!
Colours could be entirely the underside colour, or Cockpit Grey- Green roof, with tunnel walls and well sides in underside colour.
Note that you will need to alter the 'step' at the rear of the cockpit, beneath the rear glazing, and preferably use an after market canopy, as this area is incorrect, and canopy not very good at all.
Thank you Airframes for the info on this kit. After reading your post I went back to ebay to search for another hobbycraft Spitfire and could not find one , plenty of seafires but not 1 spit so I do consider myself fortunate indeed considering I only paid $6.00 for the kit and $6.00 for shipping. I have my advance search settings saved for hobbycraft 1/48 on ebay so I will definitely be looking for this one again. Jim

You're welcome Jim. It was one if our other UK members, and a good friend (Karl - 'Rochie') who beat me to the kit!
Hobbycraft are now back in production, so there's a chance the kit might reappear. It's by no means perfect (though not as bad as some made out when first released around 20+ years ago), but it's much better in overall shape than the Academy kit. My last example was converted into a PR19, and I'd like a couple more for some planned projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back