Spitfire and RAF buffs - Request for feedback

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Martin W

Recruit
Apr 25, 2007
Although I am a frequent reader of ww2aircraft.net I haven't been posting here before. Some of you may have come across the IPMS Stockholm site ( IPMSStockholm.org ), which I have been developing for the past 10 years or so.

I have for some time been contemplating developing a professional-quality monograph site devoted to the Supermarine Spitfire and perhaps Fighter Command. This summer the idea has taken shape, and I present it here to hear everyone's suggestions.

http://spitfiresite.com/

The main focal point of the site is to be a complete online book covering the operational history of the Spitfire.

I hope that you would like to visit it; all kind of helpful feedback would be of great value to me - how do you like the idea, what contents would you like to see, is there a place for another Spitfire site etc. And if you could, just maybe, think of supporting the site with your writing or other material, that would be just great!

With all the aviation resources on the web, should you bother about yet another new site? It's a kind of personal decision, but here are my suggestions:
- This is a serious initiative. I have a long experience in editing and growing web sites and certainly do not intend to cease the updates on this one anytime soon.
- Is there a really, really good site out there addressing the needs of RAF history/Spitfire buffs? If not, maybe this one will be something for you, provided that you like what you see.

Thanks to all for a great forum
/Martin

Contents

Since you're devoting your site to the Supermarine Spitfire and perhaps Fighter Command, it would be interesting if the site would contain strenght reports, orders of battles at given dates (3 month intervals just for example), breakdown of fighter types and numbers in service. For example, I've not seen any online source detailing RAF FC or Spitfire strenght shown in datail, how numerous the various Marks were in service at one time - stuff like this. Production broken down by month etc. It's pretty easy to do, since most of the latter for example is available on the internet, and even online, someone only has to organise it into a working database.

You can find such information on the web pretty easily for the USAAF and Luftwaffe, but regrettably there's almost nothing with regards of the RAF and VVS.

Hi Martin,

>This summer the idea has taken shape, and I present it here to hear everyone's suggestions.

The Merlin article is a bit weakly focused, talking as much about other engines as about the Merlin.

For example, it mentions that the Kestrel flew in the German Messerschmitt, but it fails to mention that Rolls-Royce used a German Heinkel He 70 as high-performance test bed for the Merlin.

The exact statement about the "first Messerschmitt Bf 109 V1 prototype monoplane fighter" is a bit awkward, too - there was just one V1 (as far as I know), so it would have been the first.

(Oh, maybe a few words on the influence of the He 70 on the Spitfire would be a good addition, by the way. Not that I already read everything on the site - I might simply have missed them.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Thanks for your replies. This kind of feedback is extremely valuable.

> To Kurfurst, regarding strenght reports, orders of battles, production data: This is one of the items on my long-term "candidates" list for the site. You write that the data is availabale on the web, any links?

To HoHun:
> The Merlin article is a bit weakly focused, talking as much about other engines as about the Merlin. For example, it mentions that the Kestrel flew in the German Messerschmitt, but it fails to mention that Rolls-Royce used a German Heinkel He 70 as high-performance test bed for the Merlin.

I agree that the article is somewhat basic, and as mentioned elsewhere onthe site it was something of a diversion in the course of the project. I'll look into the possibility of writing more about the Merlin in the future.

> The exact statement about the "first Messerschmitt Bf 109 V1 prototype monoplane fighter" is a bit awkward, too - there was just one V1 (as far as I know), so it would have been the first.

I will correct this one ASAP :)

/Martin

Contents

Since you're devoting your site to the Supermarine Spitfire and perhaps Fighter Command, it would be interesting if the site would contain strenght reports, orders of battles at given dates (3 month intervals just for example), breakdown of fighter types and numbers in service. For example, I've not seen any online source detailing RAF FC or Spitfire strenght shown in datail, how numerous the various Marks were in service at one time - stuff like this. Production broken down by month etc. It's pretty easy to do, since most of the latter for example is available on the internet, and even online, someone only has to organise it into a working database.

You can find such information on the web pretty easily for the USAAF and Luftwaffe, but regrettably there's almost nothing with regards of the RAF and VVS.

There are two RAF Fighter Command Order of Battle sites:

RAF Fighter Command Index

Site Map_P

which both contain chronological breakdowns of operational types by Squadron

Someone over at SimHq also did an Excel sheet breakdown of RAF ETO, MTO, CBI, PTO strenght breakdowns for the war period. Unfortunately, its on my Mac at work, so I can't find the link at the moment.

There is also a half yearly break down of Fighter Command strength by Squadron in "Fighter Command War Diaries, Vols 1-5" by John Foreman.

No two sources completely agree with each other, but a reasonably accurate picture of ETO fighter strenght can be built up from the collection of sources.

Individual operation/period OoBs can be found on the web for:

Battle of Britain:

Order of Battle - 1 July 1940

Operation Neptune/ Overlord (D-Day):

The Royal Air Force operations in support of D-day

Thanks for your replies. This kind of feedback is extremely valuable.

> To Kurfurst, regarding strenght reports, orders of battles, production data: This is one of the items on my long-term "candidates" list for the site. You write that the data is availabale on the web, any links?

/Martin

Hi,

The complete production history of the type is available online on the internet, here : Spitfire home

It's basically digitalised from Spitfire: The History, but it saves a lot of work, and since the whole thing is downloadable in Excell form, with a bit of Excell skills basically all losses, production per month can be sorted out... I bothered a bit with it, particularly Mk IX as I always wanted to figure out how widespread was the type in 1943. It's all there, you just have to spend a bit of time with it..

Thanks for the links. I knew some of them, while other were new to me. Useful indeed.

/Martin

Someone over at SimHq also did an Excel sheet breakdown of RAF ETO, MTO, CBI, PTO strenght breakdowns for the war period. Unfortunately, its on my Mac at work, so I can't find the link at the moment.

Can you post the file when you'll have the time?

Thanks in advance
Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back