1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Darryl, when this is done I want a video recording of you in 'battle'. Be sure to chant my name as you drill enemy aircraft to the ground :D

Thanks Gents,

I will do!

The latest arrivals... (Triple Brake Gauge 10 minutes ago)

FLAP2ALVE.gif

electric20controller20small201.gif

Triple.gif

The flap lever will have a rotary switch drilled through it, the TBG will be a "dead" one and the radio controller may be wired for activating the Flight Illusions Collins Radio I have coming but more likely just for a couple of lights to come on whenthe collins is in use.

Darryl

Your wallet must be taking a hit... like when we used to go the candy shop, it was all or nothing baby!

Tony,

I'm new here, and I noticed that you are going with the Jurca plans. Would
you be interested in real thing? I've been working on 2D Cad drawings, from factory drawings. I can scale any size. I have most of the frames drawings completed. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a sim, or the whole aircraft.
I've done the fin spar, and fame 21. Hammering out frame 8 and the instrument panel now, so I can sit behind it and make airplane noises.

Food for thought,

Nate

Thanks guys,

Yes Maglar, the old wallet suffers badly when I get these hairbrained schemes. I don't know exactly what I spent on the F-16 and frankly, I don't want to. If I knew, the wife may ask!!

Thanks Nate, I have the GA's of the frames but as the outside is only semi scale (due to space, visual and computer practical considerations) I decided to use the more generic. The longerons however will be properly placed rather than the squre box structure of that plan.

I would love a copy of "that frame behind the instrument panel" as they call it, though. The internal dimensions would save me scaling off photos. My IP is the real dimensions from the GA's.

Oh, and airplane noises? BEEN THERE!!

Last weekend I had the chance to test fly the controls. What a blast!! They handle much like the Extra does in real life (with a much reduced rate of roll for the Spitfire of course!) and feel like real controls. After five minutes getting used to them, I launched into some serious aerobatics and was VERY impressed. Square rolls were a joy and deadly accurate. The aileron controls have a great feel and banging in a bit of reverse aileron to arrest the roll gave a realistic result. The only thing missing was the pressure of harness on shoulders in the inverted 1/4.

I am seriously in love. The surprise is that the 11 deg backward lean of the column at neutral is hardly noticable but the fact that total travel is only 22deg (11 forward 11 back) makes it a very "twitchy" in pitch...exactly as it should be. It also results in the "think not control" sense that you get throwing her about. I am impressed by the "broken control" idea on the airlerons and can't imagine why more aircraft designers didn't pick that up. Not having to bang the stick against your legs to turn gives a very positive control and the short throw also adds to the "think not control" that you hear so much from her pilots.

All in all a good bit of progress without actually lifting a tool!!

Darryl

Thanks gents,

Ok, I got the camera charged and a couple of recent progress pics.

The "Danger" flap on the IFF completed. The body is actually still in undercoat primer, not red as it appears. The label flap is bright red.

IMG_3713small.gif

Panel work. The temporary panel is out of 3mm hardboard. It is OK for test fitting but too weak for the final product. We will draw a detailed measured plan off this and send it for laser cutting in 3mm aluminium.

The real plan here is difficult to get cut because it is in Imperial (and everybody here speaks that metric crap these days) and the gauges from Flight Illusion are slightly different size to some of the real ones. It was a useful guide though.

IMG_3712small.gif

And my temp:

IMG_3708small.gif

IMG_3710small.gif

CopyofIMG_3709small.gif

The Blind Flying Panel cut out is also not quite right but the coreldraw plan for cutting will have it marked correctly and the BFP covers it anyway.

And finally, the reason I gave up making aircraft models…a very frustrating night spent masking, painting, stripping, repainting etc the gunsight buldbs….until I was ready to smash them for the untidy edges…..THEN I found a few pictures of real ones
And they have untidy edges anyway. So here they are, finished for better or worse.

CopyofIMG_3711small.gif

This weekend is hopefully to be spent assembling and truing up the fuselage section.

Any one who would like copies of the cockpit photos I took of the Mk 22 on last weekend, please PM me and I'll organise it.

Cheers

Darryl

Thanks Terry,

There's always a bed here for a few days if you are ever out this way. A scenic flight even.

I am trying to keep this to a 12 month build but we'll see. I started about June 08 so I'll be battling now.

cheers

Darryl

Hey tony i love the work i gotta come over near your way on the weekend. if you like i could stop by with the snifter. I wouldnt mind looking at you cockpit to help get some ideas.

Im making a f18 cockpit for my computer with gauges given to me by boeing (The old man works for boeing) and i would like to see how you hooked everything up. Are you using two or one computers in network or a good pci card that can handle input info?

Hey tony i love the work i gotta come over near your way on the weekend. if you like i could stop by with the snifter. I wouldnt mind looking at you cockpit to help get some ideas.

Im making a f18 cockpit for my computer with gauges given to me by boeing (The old man works for boeing) and i would like to see how you hooked everything up. Are you using two or one computers in network or a good pci card that can handle input info?

Hi mate,

PM sent about teh weekend.

The F-16 works off a single computer with a good graphics card running Open Falcon. The MFD's were going to be live screens but I ran into space problems and elected to go TiR and "on screen". The track IR is great.

The spitfire will likewise be a single computer...no extra data screens etc needed. I will probably run a fourth screen (I'm using TH2go and there screens for the main views) for the rear vision mirror. On PRU missions it is vital to know if a contrail pops up behind!

cheers

Darryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back