1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Darryl,

I've attempted to attach frame 8 aft web pressing, and a photo of the fin spar that I have done. I could send you a paper copy, or a dc file of the cad drawing I've done. Let me know what you would like.
Work your doing looks good.

Nate

Attachments

• DSC01101.JPG
    DSC01101.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 308
Thanks Heinz.

Nate, cheers for that. I wish i had half your talent with the alu...I might even consider building metal frame!

A papre copy would be great...but I'll have to reimburse you some how. We can work something out by PM.

Thanks again guys, I'm really enjoying this build!! It's a fun build and having the working analogue instruments (half so far) is a real buzz. No longer do I have to make "engine noises" and stare at parts....now I can sit for hours increasing throttle, watching radiator and oil temps rise..then reduce throttle and watch them fall.

I feel I've grown as a person.

Darryl

OK, I give in. With everything else so realistic, how are you going to re-create the smells? That wonderful cockpit smell, the hot oil, coolant, exhaust...and......fear?!!! I suppose the latter could be done by a good intake of baked beans!!!

Junkers, thanks. I will try to oblige. After this weekend there should be some significant progress.

Terry.....actually I plan to run the whole sim "on the smell of an oily rag" 8)

Sorry, I am receiving treatment for that......

Darryl,

I don't think the tiff attached. I'm so new at this stuff, I don't know what I
did wrong. I don't know how to pm either (little help). I'm sure we can cover copy and postage, it shouldn't be too much. I live in
Maine. Where are you? My youngest, is in WA for a year.
The aluminum is easy in full soft. Now I have to heat treat, that is going to be more of a problem.

Thanks Wayne, I appreciate the encouragement.

Nate, I'll PM my address and email.

How do you plan to heat treat?

cheers

Darryl

Darryl,

I forgot to ask you where you got your gun sight, and mount? Not things that are readily available here. Also the chassis quadrant is of interest.

Thanks,

Nate

Hi Guys, i've been following your work with great interest. I'm a aircraft nut and love collecting aircraft parts! recently i helped dig up the old OAKEY Spitfire graveyard and have a swag of metal that used to be spits/kittyhawks etc which I intend to resuse in my metal casting of replica spit parts for the Oakey project (swords to ploughshares and back again) ironic!! I also dabble a bit in sheet metal work. Ahyhow! I recently have decided I would love to have a Spit panel completed now that I have most of the instruments collected. My question to any out here is would any of you have a copy of a Spit instrument panel CAD drawings so I could get an outer and BFP laser cut? I'm not fussy on the model of spit...or the type of BFP but if available I would prefer the round topped BFP drawing :) Square just looks too boring!! But as I said I won't be picky hehehe. If any of you are interested in a Boomerang Instrument panel CAD drawing...PM me as I've just finished completing my Boomerang Instrument panel for my project.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

I have a Mk II all done up in design CAD (old model CAD 3000). I don't have any of a round top BFP, but that shouldn't be to difficult to change.
Some of that material you plan on melting might be of dimensional value to someone out there. Mainly me.
Just finished flanges on frame 8 forward web (stbd). When I learn how to navigate this site, I'll post it. On to the port side and lightning holes.
Let me know what I can do.
Nate

Hi, not much time today but thought I'd give a quick progress report:

The cast of characters..these are the port side ribs and frames (ex the top part of the actual cockpit area. Visible are the instrument panel, instrument panel spacer, instrument panel main support frame, front wall, rear "seat" wall and the U shaped ribs.

aMG_3718.gif

aIMG_3717.gif

aIMG_3719.gif

My home made jigs for truing up the framework.

aIMG_3720.gif

The starboard side substantially put together and trued up. The only thing left to do is the front firewall needs fitting to the longerons once they are cut to final length..that is tonight's job.

aIMG_3714.gif

aIMG_3715.gif

aIMG_3716.gif

Pay no attention to me messy gluing...the ribs slide on and so needed a glue "base" to mould around them for strength. The detail sander will cleen it all up before it is finished.

More to come. Over Easter I should be able to get the cockpit framework just about complete..that is the plan anyway.

Hopefully some time then to catch up on some of the other excellent projects you guys are working on!

Nate, the gunsight came from a guy in Victoria..they come up all the time on Ebay as well. The holding frame came from SpitfireSpares …a cast replica and hideously expensive. I have a plan if you would like a copy but one look at the complex curves made me go for the wallet.

Ausflyboy, Nate seems to have you covered…one thing, you might like to run a Geiger counter over those instruments. They can give you a nasty surprise, particularly if are damaged. I have a P8 compass and a Triple Brake gauge that are in good condition but still set off warnings up close. Opinion is divided on their safety.
Do some research. You are welcome to have the two cheap if you are happy with the safety…I won't be using them as I will have laser cut copies as "dead" gauges.

Thanks all for your continued interest and encouragement.

Darryl

Hello Derryl! Fine work. I´m looking your progres with greate intrest. Cant wait for more pictures. Keep working mate.:D

Thanks heaps guys!

I got the firewall connected up last night, by tonight that will be strong enough to start on the Port side.

The next side I will do slightly differently. To ensure it all matches up I will attache the ribs to the established sides and THEN run teh longerons through them and glue. That will keep all the spacing identical and help keep everything square (or at least any error will be matched on both sides and therefore look "true")

More photos soon

regards

Darryl

Darryl,

Looks awesome. Thanks for the info on where to find some of the stuff I'm looking for. Pretty pricey stuff, but at least someone's making parts. Here's photo of frame 8 forward web on the starboard side. Lighening holes are now in place of the tooling holes, trimming is almost done.
More photos to come,

Nate

Attachments

• DSC01230.JPG
    DSC01230.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 235
Darryl,

Looks awesome. Thanks for the info on where to find some of the stuff I'm looking for. Pretty pricey stuff, but at least someone's making parts. Here's photo of frame 8 forward web on the starboard side. Lighening holes are now in place of the tooling holes, trimming is almost done.
More photos to come,

Nate

No worries mate,

Your metal work is awesome. You are making me green with envy already,

cheers

Darryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back