1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Wayne

OK, Easter's work effort:

4 warning placards etc made a few weeks ago.

aaIMG_3721.gif

The first three are printed on plain paper and then glued to aluminium plates and sprayed with sealant. The last is on laserlite, black over silver, which is self adhesive
And put onto another alu plate.

More of my crap glue joins, they will be cleaned up but I wanted to avoid diagonal nails etc which will show on the finished "painted metal" look finish.This meant cutting slots for the joins and using a heap of glue which will be sanded away from all but the hollows of the joins.

aaIMG_3727.gif

aaIMG_3725.gif

The instrument panel baseline is on the datum and therefore determined the position of the top longeron.

aaIMG_3726.gif

aaIMG_3723.gif

The bottom one was placed by educated guess and a bit of extrapolation from GA drawings. It is also placed to provide a good base for the seat supports I have to build in, which will be hidden under the seat and not at all "original" or accurate.

Finally, the finish of the Easter work:

aaIMG_3722.gif

aaIMG_3724.gif

The seat back frame needs to be further shaped and this is marked but not done. Then a large triangular armour plate covers it anyway!
The hardest thing was deciding on the shape of the hollows in the frames and cutting them out. The plans only had the outside shape of the frames and the same shape on the inside (ie gave a thickness only) but that is not how a real Spitfire is shaped. A lot of pouring over drawings and photos late I "trial and errored" its ar$e until I got something I was happy with.

Next step is to build the upper cockpit walls and the door on the port side.

The controls are in the final stages of production, so I hear, and they should be ready in a month or so. The other instruments are "nearing completion" (as they have been since December!) .

Once I have them I can finish the IP pattern and get it properly cut out of 3mm Aluminium.

Very pleased just now :) :)

Looking good Darryl, great progress mate. Will it be having a full canopy, or just the windscreen?

G'day Terry,

Cheers. The "windscreen" will be constructed from the three 19" monitors that wrap around the front. they should fit 3" behind the instrument panel and I will do a slight "dome" of aluminium to fit on the centre one and glue bolt heads, of acrylic laser cut, all around the casings to form the window frames. It won't be spot on but it should look good enough. The reflector gunsight will sit right up to the centre monitor and be lit when switched on.

Hopefully it looks good enough when finished. Putting a canopy over a wood pit filled with electrical components is not ideal. I have already had one fire in the F-16 I built (long story). Joining the "Guinea Pig Club" is taking simulation a bit far.......

Darryl

Those placards look awesome, well done.

Nate

Thanks Gents,

I will have more pictures after this weekend.

"Nasty", yes, it will be fully functioning with FSX and later, possibly, IL2.

Ah well! You can have my RAF Mk4 suit if it'll fit!

Terry, "yours", that's great cheers. That IS the mark with the integrated hanky for wiping away castor oil isn't it??? :lol: :lol:

Darryl

great stuff Darryl.....if you need any help (or indeed Nate who I believe I am already chatting to) getting details, parts, etc let me know.....there are several sellers of spit cockpit stuff in the UK and some are good value...

great stuff Darryl.....if you need any help (or indeed Nate who I believe I am already chatting to) getting details, parts, etc let me know.....there are several sellers of spit cockpit stuff in the UK and some are good value...

Cheers Mate,

I've been dealing with SpitfireSpares. Quite expensive but service is second to none and I don't have the patience these days fro 7 day Ebay auctions etc.

One bit I do need is the door latch mechanism. That may take some finding but I have a guy who can build me one if I can't find one.

cheers

Darryl

Anyone know how to get in touch with Downland Aviation? I tried to google them, but nothing came up. They apparently make a lot of the spitfire bits pieces that I'm looking for.
Held up on frame 8, have to work once in a while.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back