1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Wurger!

And after a horror run at engraving, here is the finished product for the Primer Cock. Chris had nightmares with the software and the curves, so the back is now the front!! Some compromises had to be made but overall I'm very happy.

There are a couple of small marks on the natural metal finish but I am going to live with them. They won't be at all noticeable in the pit. As it was it took the night to clean off the engraving marks, backfill the lettering and spraycoat it.

I just need to add the small "L" shaped stop for the handle, which will be rivetted on. The whole lot is lacquered to maintain the finish.

In the A2A Spitfire, the priming cock is not implemented (it was removed by the date we picked), so it will need to physically complete the Ki-Gas primer electric circuit to make it work.
Because the Ki-Gas Primer itself in the sim is a magnetic influence switch and sends "prime" when OFF (primer pulled out), the wiring to implement the Primer Cock will be a bit tricky... as if it is "off" it will disconnect the primer and activate it in sim without moving the Ki-Gas primer itself (no good!)___and,___ if it is "ON" then the Ki-Gas primer won't send the off and you can't prime!!

I have to test but I think if I run the wires from the Priming Cock rotary to splice onto the wires of the Ki-Gas, it should work. The Priming Cock switch/rotary will be wired to be "ON" when it is in the OFF position, shorting the circuit and preventing priming. When it is at "TO CYL" it will be wired OFF. The Ki-Gas mag switch will then act as normal, completing the circuit until the pump is operated, then breaking the circuit and sending the "prime" Offset

All very easy, I'm sure... I can't wait to get back to the simple, logical old F-16 wiring :) :) :)

IMG_1797_zpsncjee7zg.jpg

IMG_1799_zpsypdobzg3.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers mate! Yep, it is all very confusing Terry! Readers Digest version is that I need two switches electrically linked to ONE joystick button (which can not simply be duplicated as that won't work).

If BOTH are on or off at the same time the system works but if there is one or the other then the results are out of sync with the Sim. You turn on the Priming Cock to prime and the Primer starts going by itself....or won't go at all.... Now...where was I?

Who was I??

er......

:)

More power Scotty !
I canna give ye more power Cap'n, the Warp banks are fecked due to over - priming !!

Thanks Hugh,

Getting there. Few days off now, probably. All my jungle wanderings and cutting myself the other day, no big deal....and I get an infection in a blister on my thumb from polishing the Primer Cock Plate. (Probably something to do with letting the water out of it with the end of an office staple, sharpened with my general purpose Swiss army knife nail file.) No-one ever accused me of being clever, I guess. And after all, I've had me Tetanus shot :)

No progress made for various reasons but a good score last night:

The parking brake clip...basically the Spitfire uses a small stainless steel clip to hold the brake lever so the pilot doesn't have to... the "parking brake" is that simple! Downside is the "stainless steal" part...just under $80 delivered to Australia and about an inch and a half long!

s-l800zzz_zps2gwuscm1.jpg

s-l1600zzz999_zpsrfrxhah4.jpg

And more satisfying:

s-l1600_zpsgz35kkov.jpg

s-l1600zs_zpspcbt2v3j.jpg

Replacing my laser engraved/cut scratch built unit:

instruments4.jpg

instruments2.jpg

instruments8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Luis, Terry, Hugh and Andy!

I received the Oxy Regulator in the mail a few days ago. It has replacement dials and needles but original gauge cans ("Bakelites"?? :) )
The Dosimeter is fine with the front but shows about 5 times "background" at the rear. due to some airholes in the casing. The main "lines" have been filled. 5 times is not bad but it may mean there is still some radium dust in there...of course the guy who made the gauges......??

So now I have to decide whether to don protective gear and take it apart, wash it, drill the hole for a Flight Illusion gauge stepper to poke through and seal the whole lot with some liquid glass, or whether I leave well enough alone. I have to balance between safety, "want" and the actual utility of the Oxygen Height reading (when I CAN get it off the screen if I need it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back