1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Glenn,

I've taken some advice on it from a Spitfire mechanic I know. He thinks with the internals gone, that the risk of radium dust is very small and that the casing is just a bit "hot" from residual. Either way i will be taking precautions!

Another dollop of progress today. I have found a site which does 3d printed casings for the Fuel and Oil Pressure gauges. They are VERY reasonably priced and with some track/chain drives pirated from some old printers and some gears, I think I may be able to make them functional, both running off the current, round, stepper motor gauge. That can sit behind the panel.

I also feel a bit like David Essex having made a start on my "brave new world underground"...I've built the first half of the first frame of the new Aluminium cockpit. I'm not building it "properly" as I don't have the shrinking and stretching tools (or the space for them). Instead I am building them with Aluminium rectangular and square tubing and a process called Kerfing to make the bends and curves necessary. The whole lot will then have straps(where hidden) and sheet aluminium (where visible) rivetted on to add strength and/or make them look the part. The whole pit should weigh about 1/5 of what it does now, be more mobile and be much easier to climb into. I can also fix all of the Marque inconsistencies at the same time, taking her back to Spitfire I / PR A/B status.

Not having been able to do any work on the Cockpit, I have had content myself with acquisitions, sales and planning.

Not a lot to show. the Undercarriage Indicator arrived and after a few quality control issues, it all got sorted out and I have a beautiful unit. Unfortunately the blind part is a solid carving
so there is no way to jerry rig it to make it functional. A shame but I don't fly at night anyway.

I've also probably sold all of my Mk IX stuff to a guy, in bulk, for a price that will pay for most of the conversion but which is still an extremely big discount on what it would cost him to acquire it all separately.

The new instrument panel is also in the planning stage. Chris, my long suffering mate, has now bought a laser which will cut up to 3mm Stainless Steel plate. 1mm SS is what the new panel will be made from, lighter than and stronger than the 3mm Ali one I have at present.

Proper early Generator switch (per regulator installation, Merlin II)

5CW651_zpseobixq2f.jpg

The correct Starting Magneto switch:

5CW547_zpswu0q3hak.jpg

A couple of these for Oxygen Hose clips
AGS-895-1_zps9mfaga8i.jpg

One of these:
5CW1091_zpshnaqklh6.jpg

Out of which to build one of these:

Early-Spitfire-Start-BUtton-assembly_zps8oxpaog3.jpg

(Which are at least ten times the price IF you can find one).

The tools and first shipment of rivets for the Aluminium rebuild also arrived today.

s-l1jg600_zpsoxwt5ccr.jpg

s-l160210_zpsy32srqhe.jpg

s-l50ty0_zpshydjj0kp.jpg

The really fancy bits... the elegant U Chanel, compound curved, cockpit coaming, the upper cockpit braces and the door braces, will be made by Ross. He is also going to make me a Seat.. the real deal.

Now I just need for the hassles of life to go away and I may be able to do some building.

My Ground Crew are ready and waiting for work to commence :) :) :) :

15192533_10154103136039607_571668163317514996_n_zpszry4ewu5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, Wojtek and Hugh.

The little guy is a bit bigger now Terry, so I will be able to start getting a little building done. At 21 weeks he doesn't need around the clock supervision any more!

Cheers Andy,

A decent break at Christmas should see me get a good start on the rebuild. Today I made the 2 swages I didn't have (3" and 2.25") but they aren't really much to see....

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back