1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Ru,

Will contact you.

regards

Darryl

Darryl, I've spoken to my husband, and we will send you a complete working unit. Just send back the dummy one when you're ready and we'll swap it over. That way you'll get the working lights and full-size back too. Your project is inspiring and we want to help.

Ru

Ru,

That is amazingly generous! When the sim is rebuilt in Aluminium I will send you a full set of photos and please feel free to use them for marketing. All of our dealings have been brilliant and you have an ambassador here!!

Will email you.

regards

Darryl

For everyone... here are some shots of Ru's working U/C Indicator from "the web". It is a work of art!!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Latest news, I spent 20 hours of Thursday night/Friday demolishing the Spitfire. The end of an era. All the sold parts have been shipped off and for the first time in years Moody Blue is completely unserviceable.

Looking at the bare walls gives some idea of what the finished early Spitfire I will look like...no Remote Contactor or destruction gear, no Deice pump, cock or piping, no oxygen valve (a valve on the bottle behind the seat only), the panel stripped of switches and only a total of 4 to go back in plus the three way rotary for charge regulation. But the hand pump for the undercarriage will look all the more spectacular for it....

I have plan for the canopy latch coming and will be putting a full canopy on the new build, minus front windscreen. The new build will be constructed all the way back to the just in front of the radio mast.
Finally, the Oxygen Regulator will become fully functional with tap and gauges, the proper rectangular gauges for oil pressure and fuel pressure will be implemented with gears and the rest of the panel will match a proper Spitfire I config much more closely.

All 2000 rivets have arrived and on Tuesday I go to the sheet metal supplier to get 5 square meters of 1mm aluminium.

So now I just need the personal "weather" to break and I can seriously start to build the "ultimate" version of the sim!!

Sounds bl**dy marvelous Darryl - looking forward to seeing the progress on the 'new' build.
Just had another look at that undercart indicator, and it is indeed a work of art. I hope that the bulbs are easily sourced, should you need replacements. With things such as torches and lamps now being made with multi LEDs, finding bulbs can be difficult. I have an old (probably 27 or 28 years old), but very good, 'Duracell' high-power torch-cum-beacon, which still works well, but trying to find spare bulbs for the torch part was nigh on impossible, until I found an old-fashioned bike shop that still had some.

Cheers Terry,

I will be using some old globes I have to make "fittings" into which an LED sits, a technique I pioneered on my F-16 sim.

D

Darryl, it has been a good amount of elements, and I hope to see the application of those 2000 rivets !!!
I congratulate you for continuing to "live the dream"

Saludos amigo :thumbup:

Guys, thanks for all the comments, encouragement. I can almost look at the shell now without automatically holding my hat over my heart :)

A trip to the metal merchant's yesterday lightened my wallet by twice what I had planned, They could only supply
1.5mm aluminium sheets in the size I needed..not 1mm. The Spitfire had between .7 and 1.2mm skinning in the area but no matter...as I can't heat treat, the extra will guard against dents. It isn't that much harder to bend either.

I also should have known that if they cut a large sheet for you, your are buying the whole sheet....so I could have got away with 3 sheets not 5. So I have plenty of spare stock (Having bought 5 of 2400 x 1200!! )

That will do all of the skin, all of the Frames and all of the interior attachments etc. Everything will be much more rigid which is not a bad thing. It will also encourage me to remake all of the switch brackets etc to the correct patterns rather than the slightly different Mk V and Mk IX patterns of things now......so t'is an ill wind...

Compliments of the Season to everyone and in the immortal words of Dave Allen, "Goodnight and may your God go with you"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back