1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Terry and Andy,

I am enjoying getting back to some detail work, as much as I do want to see frame 8 sitting complete.

Andy, I admit to (in true modeller form) having bought PE and sat it in my cupboard! In truth, even though I have three 1/32 Tamiya Spitfires, an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, a 1/16 Sopwith Camel, an Extratech Wurzburg Radar in 1/72, a Freya to match, 2 HMMVS at 1/56th and a wooden Barque of French origin in 1/whateverth... the last time I built a model, "PE" was something you did at school, a "Search Engine" was owned by the Fire and Emergency Services and "Mobile Phone" was a small child trying to say Winnebago !!

(Times have changed!!!!!...just searched for the Extratech Wurzburg Reise to complete the set... $116.50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And $77.40 for the poor old Freya.

Last edited:
Darryl, it's an amazing job that you have advanced so far! ... and you have a very interesting arsenal to work scales that normal humans use.

It will be a nice thread to see one of those Spits you have.

Congratulations for your work.
(Thanks for your words about my Lib)

Saludos :thumbup:

Thanks Luis,

I promise I WILL build ALL of the kits I have one day...no, really, I promise I will definitely ...er..think about building some of them some day....

A busy week at work and worse to come, so not much progress this weekend. I grabbed an afternoon and started another one of those small (well, "ish") jobs that I have been looking forward to doing.

Having got hold of original GA's, some Pilot's Notes drawings and some photos of a modern reproduction (albeit, Spitfire II, not Spitfire I), the first thing was to mark out, cut and form the throttle body.

The plans and notes, the important ones scaled to 1:1 and printed out.

IMG_2265_zpsynj0mrqz.jpg

IMG_2261_zpszeyavkxq.jpg

Next, a former was cut and sanded to give smooth rounded bends in the sheets.

I need to find a better wood than Pine, as it cracks at the least excuse. Hardwoods are very expensive here in sheet form though.

IMG_2264_zpsu0wudjhk.jpg

Flange dimensions added to the pattern (front only as front and back flanges are the same dimensions, all that changes is the extended bottom tab on the rear pattern.) and the body halves cut and formed.

IMG_2262_zpsikw5irz3.jpg

IMG_2258_zpslm4gbaal.jpg

IMG_2257_zpst6usy5k1.jpg

A fair bit of filing and jostling of the sides was necessary to get them to match up. Even though they sit an inch or more apart, I wanted them to be able to be put together and match "perfectly" as they should. This took a bit for me as I am NOT a tradesman at all!!

IMG_2259_zpsojfdypmi.jpg

I am passably happy with the results though and the small differences should not be at all noticeable when the throttle is assembled.

The U/C Warning horn switch I already have in resin form and the U/C Down Light Circuit Switch and housing will be courtesy of Replica Aircraft Parts in the UK.

ucandthrottle_zpsils7lbxx.jpg

Clipboard01_zpslhi4jlj0.jpg

Clipboard02_zpsblbgecik.jpg

03it_001-640x480_zpsdqvdlors.jpg

Hopefully my wrist will let me start on the bigger stuff again soon. By the middle of next week our "year" is finished at work, so there will be a little more time to take a break and get some stuff done!

Cheers Terry!

Yesterday Ross sent the first pictures of the upper structure bits he is doing for me... the compound curve of the "U" shaped the coaming is beyond my tools and experience!

Ross%20Coaming_zpsm93exoxi.png

I've also found and sent him some of the very early seat pictures..the one with no hand hole or right hand hole for the Sutton Harness strap. He's trying to get to the seat next week!

I've also talked again to Replica Aircraft Parts and the U/C indicator is nearly ready. And also picked up a throttle lever from them, which saves me machining straight lines on 5mm ali!! These should be up on their website in the near future.

Thanks Wojtek, Andy and Hugh .

After a pretty quiet and frustrating 6 months, things are starting to move now, lots of balls in the air but definite progress on the rebuild.

Another photo bonus in my email this morning from Ross. There are a few bits that need making that have to have various machines/gear to make and which it would be uneconomic for me to tool up to do. This includes these pieces that require rollers or an English Wheel to make.

these are the bits Ross has completed so far:

Upper cockpit area stiffeners and frames:

Stiffeners%20frames_zpsmxt6mcur.jpg

A start to the seat:

seat%20sides_zpsisjkggjy.jpg

Which will come together like this (the last one he made)
Pic_0815_983_zpsz08cyl3k.jpg

Pic_0826_011_zpsandmft4e.jpg

Pic_1010_115_zpszpohdlbz.jpg

Pic_1010_113_zpsh8meq0o8.jpg

It will finish up looking something very like this...(this one from SpitfireSpares :

597a_12_zpsudbidiox.jpg

My only contribution though will likely be the Flare Cartridge Box on the front..IF I decide to have it, as it is doubtful whether or not K9817 would have had one fitted.

Me too - really excellent work by your guys. This is going to be a real as you can get - and I still think you should add the rest of the fuselage, and at least 'stub' wings !
And no, I ain't paying for it, or providing a hangar to keep it in !!
Just thought - when it's completed, and up and running, could you offer 'time' in it, as simulator hours, or familiarisation time for those progressing to flying the real thing ?
Depending on licencing requirements etc, and if it could be coordinated with the 'warbird' fraternity, it might be a way of recovering at least part of your investment.

Thanks Gents... it is all starting to come together now.

Terry,

I've considered it. I would need to put in a commercial licence for the A2A Spitfire Spitfire. I already run Professional P3D.
While it was a Mk IX it would have had some relevance to current local pilots...but as a Spitfire I, I fear not. Too different.
I could probably find interested parties just to have a fly though and, as you say, recover some small part of the outlay. I've heard figures of $200-300 an hour bandied around but whether anyone would actually step up at that rate is doubtful. At least in ali, it would stand the rigors of "outsiders" climbing in and out.

As to actual training certification..no. I've had a bit to do with that with the Boultbee trainer being built and the costs and additions would be far too extreme for me to ever put in!.

More soon. I had a full long weekend off just gone but was in need of a rest and actually didn't even turn on a machine all weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back