1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Darryl,

Let me know how the canopy goes. If you don't get it, I'd be interested. How's the redo going? Those were from the Jurca plans?

Nate

Hi Nate,

The Jurca's were fine (given their limited accuracy outside and nil inside cuts)....no the rib placement was done from Supermarine GA's!!!!

I guess there must have been an update or something, or the scales was slightly out because there was a 3 inch misalignment. Probably ANYWHERE but the rib ajoining the door and cockpit coaming it wouldn't have mattered.

No work on the redo and none likely until my end of year work is finalised in three to four weeks. Until then it is 14 hour days at the office.

I'll let you know on the hood.

cheers

Darryl

Terry,

I spent last afternoon on my favourite high spot with my trust old 7.62.

Darryl : 7
people who p!$$ me off : NIL

Feeling much better now!!! :twisted:

I have to move one rib and rebuild the half finished cockpit coaming. The coaming will actually be easier with a longer travel. The rib was braced with a bracket which I thought I had glued on, including seating the screws with glue, but the glue didn't take so she will come off easy enough. Frustrating but not fatal.....

A big thanks to Chris, who sent me the GA for the door and THAT made me recheck the measurments!! Not too much harm done...

Darryl

No probs Darryl, let me know if there are any other drawings I can help you out with.

Cheers,
Chris

Darryl,

I have a friend who is building the full size Jurca, and if I remember correctly the frame spacing is not at all the same as the real spifire. Might be where your measurement error came from.

Nate

Hi Nate,

I only used the Jurca for the exterior dimensions(which are quite close but not quite the same shape at the bottom of the fuselage (which will be covered by "wing" anyway). I know they are close because the real instrument panel drawing had only to be altered a little bit to fit perfectly.

The frame spacings came from another GA with the measuements nicely marked on it...however the two frames "in" the cockpit are half frames with some ribs then being placed above the datum to support the structure. The drawing I used (from the Supermarine 35,000 series) showed these ribs but no measurement. Two are directly above the lower frames..no problem there..but a third, the one at the front of the door, is shown on that drawing as about 3/8 of the way between two ribs. This is the one I measured on the plan, converted to full size and placed..exactly where the plan said it should be. Unfortunately the door measurement proves this can't be right. So I went to photos. Every one of them I found that had a view of the right cockkpit wall showed that rib as half way...and that fits perfectly with the door dimensions.

I guess the Supermarine GA's are not perfect after all.

Anyway, as I said and now I have calmed down, no great halm done. I've just waisted about 3 hours' building time.

cheers and looking forward to more alu frame pictures.

Darryl

Darryl,

I have spent a lot of time on that very area. I finally figured it all out, but I had to search dozens and dozens of drawings to find dimensions I was looking for. The cockpit coaming channel is amost impossible to replicate. Sounds like you have everything in order now, let me know if need any of those measurements.
Glad you only lost a little time. Looking foreward to more pictures.

Nate

Last edited:
Darryl,

I have spent a lot of time on that very area. I finally figured it all out, but I had search dozens and dozens of drawings to find dimensions I was looking for. The cockpit coaming channel is amost impossible to replicate. Sounds like you have everything in order now, let me know if need any of those measurements.
Glad you only lost a little time. Looking foreward to more pictures.

Nate

Chaps
The two half frames Darryl is talking about I assume are Frame 9 10? I have dimensions for all the ribs you are talking about. The coaming channel Nate is talking about is a work of art....double curvature U chnnel....I cheated! I had these made by someone who makes them for flyers (quite expensive), whilst he was at it I had the top hat sections (that goes between the panel and the front former near the cockpit door (which is z section) and the the Z sections.....any help let me know
cheers
Tony
ps photos will be posted on my website after 15th June of my project....a few shots are on there at the mo' but nothing exciting! default

Chaps
The coaming channel Nate is talking about is a work of art....double curvature U chnnel....I cheated! I had these made by someone who makes them for flyers (quite expensive),ps photos will be posted on my website after 15th June of my project....a few shots are on there at the mo' but nothing exciting! default

Thanks mate,

Yes the coaming channel is a b17ch. I bailed out and elected to make it out of "L" shaped angle aluminium and added four tempered steal brackets which will sit out of sight under the gunsight. (as I didn't trust the L alu and the cast aluminium gunsight bracket to hold it securely enough.)

With just an L it was relatively easy to bend and form it by hand (with cuts along the hidden edge to allow flex). Not strictly accurate but should look OK.

The door is still problematic. When I moved the rib to the half way position it still made the door 20.5 inches...when it is only 18.56 in reality. I think I have worked out the problem...one of the rib spacings on my GA drawings is quite indistinct. I thought it was 15.25 inches and it still LOOKS like it to me. But the one next to it is clearly 12.25 (or 12.5, can't remember) so 13.25 would be more likely...AND explains the 2" discepancy that I have on the door.

Unfortunately I cant' move those Frames because they are well and truly glued and fixed. I can't move the front rib that butts up against the door as that would extend the coaming and make the curve look much flatter. I can't make the door 2" longer because then the real door latch won't fit.

So, the only thing I can do is to add an extra thick rib at the rear of the door that will jut out 2" from the seat back and fill the gap. It shouldn't look too bad but Ii really wanted the measurements to be exact and spent a lot of time pouring over the GAs. I will just have to accept that teh cockpit is probably 2" longer than the real one.

:oops:

I am currently darker than Michael Jackson used to be...............

On a positive note, most of the FI instruments have now arrived and I have been calibrating them for a while each night when I get home.

Pictures next week.

Darryl

Me too mate! You could always say that it's longer because of expansion, due to heat generated in a high speed dive!
No? Oh well, I tried....

Hi guys,

Terry, high speed dive...like it!!!

Photos coming this week. I spent the weekend out of it after finishing the year's work in RL wth some crazy hours, whilst nursing severe flu.

I did manage to stay upright long enough to cut out a 2mm aluminium instrument panel blank. I have decided to try this first rather than get it plasma cut. The satisfaction (if I can pull off all those perfectly round instrument holes) will be immense. If not, I can always get it plasma cut later.

So I will sped each night this week trying to get a couple of holes done. (drill many 8mm holes around the outside of a scribed circle, cut the bits left with a jigsaw close to the line and or Dremel, file the rest off).

We'll see how we go. Apart from that the right side upper cockpit framing is done apart from the coaming channel being attached to the top of the IP and the gunsight frame fitted.

More soon

Darryl

I don't know if all the measurements are spot on or not, Darryl, but it looks b****y brilliant to me! Say, do you do work on commission - nothing fancy, just a full-size mockup of an IL-2 cabin, 2-seater, of course. Money's no object (since I don't have any to begin with).

Venganza

Sounding good Daryl, looking forward to the pics when you can.
BTW, the canopy has been located, not sure yet about the windscreen. Just waiting to hear if matey can get it to me, if you get my drift! Soon as I know, I'll be in touch.

And as if by magic...Zeberdy appeared.......

SpitfireTQ006.gif

SpitfireTQ009.gif

SpitfireTQ016.gif

ThrottleReal.gif

ThrottleReal2.gif

36139SHT17G.gif

Some more teasers on the throttle quadrant. Structure soon...

Thanks for all the comments guys....and building assignments ...all reasonable (and most unreasonable) offers considered *G*

Terry, cheers!

Darryl

Last edited:
The Throttle quadrant asebly is great but a litle diferent from the real thing pictures an drawings you posted so why is that, Darryl?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back