Spitfire mk I tyres

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hi all,
I was wondering, was there a 'standard' Spitfire mk I main gear tyre? The tyres on the Hendon and Cosworth spitfires are completely different,the former having prominent 'Dunlop' logos while the latter has almost no logos or writing on at all?

The Eduard Spitfire mk I brassin wheels are an exact copy of the Cosworth spitfires's tyres,but I have some photos of original BoB Spitfires with Dunlop logos in white.

Any clarification would be much appreciated?

The Spitfire Mk1 used a 'standard', smooth tread tyre, with the 'Dunlop' name in raised relief, which could be painted white, or just moulded plain. In service, with the effects of mud and abrasion, the white colouring could wear off or become indistinguishable, due to dirt.
Note that the Cosford Spitfire Mk1, the World's oldest surviving Spitfire, has the logo visible on the inner face of the tyre on the starboard side (not sure about the port side), demonstrating that it' entirely possible for the logo to be hidden behind the wheel door, if the tyre was fitted in this way.
Apologies for the colour cast in the pics.

Spit forum 1.jpg
Spit forum 2..jpg

Thanks so much! I hadn't noticed the Dunlop logo there when I looked at an excellent set of photos of this aircraft that I found a while ago.

I was sure the standard tyre on the mk.I was Dunlop and it makes sense they would all be the same,possibly with the white rubbed off.

Once again thank you for your help!

Standard Mk I &II:
Dunlop wheel 5"x10"
7.5" tyre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back