Spitfire Mk IX in Italian colours (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi,
finally my Tamiya Spitfire is complete.
As mentioned in w.i.p. thread my goal was to replicate the machine that can be seen if you visit the Vigna di Valle aviation museum.
4522864541_5998dfd295_o-vi.jpg

Here following some pictures:
DSCN0980-vi.jpg

DSCN0981-vi.jpg

DSCN0982-vi.jpg

DSCN0986-vi.jpg

DSCN0984-vi.jpg

DSCN0989-vi.jpg

DSCN0988-vi.jpg

DSCN0991-vi.jpg

As you may have noticed, my weathering is limited to some outlining of panel lines: no exhaust smoke or gun smoke: this aircraft never flew and never shot a round with Italian colours.
Comments and suggestions for the next model are really welcome.
Cheers
Alberto

Just a quick addition: if you are interested on the w.i.p. you can go here:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/spitfire-mk-ix-tamiya-w-i-p-22711.html

Last edited:
nice work
netx time you can try to make the only italian spitfire in civilian use....

nice work
netx time you can try to make the only italian spitfire in civilian use....

Do you mean this machine?
ISPIT-vi.jpg

For those interested in her story, here following are some info.

MT 719 was built as a LF-MkVIII in June 1944.
In july was transferred to Bombay, India and then assigned to 17th Squadron based in Burma to fight against Japan.
At the end of WW2 was still in Burma assigned to SEAC.
In December 1947 was taken in charge by the recently born Indian Air Force.
After her service with IAF she was relegated in Jaipur airbase together with several other Spitfire relics.
In 1977 collectors Ormond and Wensley Haydon-Baille puchased nine of these relics, including MT 719.
In early 1978 eight were successfully transferred to UK and offered for purchase.

Turin based Italian pilot and aviation fan Franco Actis purchased MT 719 in November 1980 and started a long, difficult work to get it back to flight conditions.
This happened eventually on October 27, 1982.
Finally, for several reasons, Mr. Actis decided to sell his bird to a British gentlemen so, finally MT 719 returned home.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back