Spitfire MK IX - Pierre Clostermann

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ArmouredSprue

Senior Airman
Feb 26, 2013
Adelaide SA
Hi all
Here are some photos of my Italeri 1/72 Spitfire MK IX.
I made it to represent a plane flown by French WWII top ace Pierre Clostermann (32 confirmed).
Pierre_Clostermann.jpg

Mr Clostermann had a curious link to Brazil since he was born in Curitiba PR (Brazil) and lived there until he was 11 y/o.

So here are the photos, the model represents his plane during the D-day and he was the first frenchman serving with gen. De Gaulle to step in French soil again.

DSCF3314.jpg

DSCF3316.jpg

DSCF3319.jpg

DSCF3320.jpg

Cheers!

Looking very nice. However these top wing RAF roundels seem to be applied too close to the fuselage.

Agree with Wojtek but otherwise looks very good. With this being a Mark IX, the antenna wire would not likely have been present on this aircraft. There might have been the two IFF "cheesecutters" from the fuselage to the tips of the tailplanes though.

Yep... I agree with Andy on the antena wire as well. I hadn't noticed it before... :oops:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I knew about thr upper wing roundels, I have followed the instruction plan and this is how it is there. One I have finished I was pointed the mistake.
I didn't know about the antenna tough! But I think it would be easy to fix it, I didn't understand how it is fixed (is it from where in the fuselage to the tailplanes?).

I didn't know about the antenna tough! But I think it would be easy to fix it, I didn't understand how it is fixed (is it from where in the fuselage to the tailplanes?).

The IFF antenna wires were fixed to the tips of the horizontal stbilizers and went into the fuslage throug insulators. The wire IFF antenna and VHF radio can be clearly seen on this Spitfire Mk. Vb. The insulator for the IFF wire to the tailplane can be seen on the red part of the fuselage roundel.

usaaf-spitfire-in-gibraltar-748923.jpg

Spit_091_PWM.jpg

Here is the late IFF antenna under the starboard wing ..... the pic source - the Internet.

3d6ff4ceb833ff84.jpg

kangur.jpg

At the date depicted, it's more likely that Closterman's Spit would have the dipole under the wing. The first pic, showing Johnnie Johnson's MkIX, is from an earlier period, i think mid 1943, when earlier MkIXs still had the original IFF aerial wires, whereas by early 1944, the newer equipment, and antenna, was in use. However, the fuselage terminal was still very often to be seen, as a 'left over' on the production line.

However, I would go with Terry's approach and use the small whip antenna on the wing.

EDIT: Crossed posts with Terry!

Note that there are accounts of Mk1 IFF being fitted before 'late September 1940' - certainly in August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back