Spitfire Mk Vb Hobby Boss 1/32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ajcmac

Airman 1st Class
Aug 29, 2009
Vila Real
There's an old adage that says, "Rei morto, Rei posto". In English it means that when the King dies soon another takes his place.

I finished the model that was the last release of Hasegawa. Well, I'll start a new model that was the last release from Hobby Boss. The Spitfire Mk Vb.

The model represents a WWII ace who became flight commander. Spitfire Vb, RF-D EN952, 303 Sqn RAF (Polish) Jan Zummbach, Summer 1942.

SpitfireMKVb011.gif

SpitfireMKVb012.gif

The box.

SpitfireMKVb001.gif

SpitfireMKVb002.gif

SpitfireMKVb003.gif

SpitfireMKVb004.gif

SpitfireMKVb005.gif

Fit test. Everything seems to fit well. Let's see if there are no surprises.

SpitfireMKVb006.gif

SpitfireMKVb007.gif

And I started to glue and to prepare a few little pieces.

First in the interiors.

SpitfireMKVb008.gif

SpitfireMKVb013.gif

SpitfireMKVb014.gif

SpitfireMKVb015.gif

After the engine has here with putty.

SpitfireMKVb009.gif

SpitfireMKVb010.gif

And the exhaust pipes.

SpitfireMKVb020.gif

SpitfireMKVb021.gif

Nice! It'll be very interesting to see this one come together as I've got the exact same kit sitting in the stash

I started by painting the interior with Grey Green.

SpitfireMKVb038.gif

SpitfireMKVb039.gif

SpitfireMKVb042.gif

SpitfireMKVb043.gif

The engine almost ready and exhaust pipes.

SpitfireMKVb016.gif

SpitfireMKVb017.gif

SpitfireMKVb055.gif

SpitfireMKVb056.gif

Very nice ajcmac. I noticed a rough texture on the exhausts and engine. Is that a technique or as it came in the kit? If a technique, I would sure like to know how you achieved it.

Thanks..Geo

Very nice work. One minor point which can easily be corrected - the seat was not Cockpit Green, being made from a resin-impregnated pulp, rather like a kind of papier mache, often wrongly described as 'Bakelite'. It was a reddish brown colour, with a very dark brown (almost black in appearance) leather slip-on back pad.
Here's a pic taken at Duxford, showing the colours.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 110.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 110.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 324
The model represents a WWII ace who became flight commander. Spitfire Vb, RF-D EN952, 303 Sqn RAF (Polish) Jan Zummbach, Summer 1942.

Looking very nice. However a short note here Zumbach's Spitfire Mk.Vb had the serial EN951 but not the EN952. But it might be a typo... if not, check decal markings, just in case.

Spitfire VB, RF-D EN951, 303 Sqn RAF (Polish), Squadron Leader Jan Zumbach, Summer 1942.

Very nice work. One minor point which can easily be corrected - the seat was not Cockpit Green, being made from a resin-impregnated pulp, rather like a kind of papier mache, often wrongly described as 'Bakelite'. It was a reddish brown colour, with a very dark brown (almost black in appearance) leather slip-on back pad.
Here's a pic taken at Duxford, showing the colours.

I'll have to fix with a brush. Already glued the seat belts and the pilot's seat to the supports. Thank you.

Last edited:
Looking very nice. However a short note here Zumbach's Spitfire Mk.Vb had the serial EN951 but not the EN952. But it might be a typo... if not, check decal markings, just in case.

Spitfire VB, RF-D EN951, 303 Sqn RAF (Polish), Squadron Leader Jan Zumbach, Summer 1942.

Is correct. Decals EN951. I suppose it must have been my mistake when I wrote the number. Thank you.

Very nice ajcmac. I noticed a rough texture on the exhausts and engine. Is that a technique or as it came in the kit? If a technique, I would sure like to know how you achieved it.

Thanks..Geo

I apply with putty and acetone dissolved in the engine (here with more acetone) and exhaust pipes to be with a rougher surface.

SpitfireMKVb009.gif

SpitfireMKVb010.gif

SpitfireMKVb020.gif

SpitfireMKVb021.gif

SpitfireMKVb022.gif

Putty dissolve with acetone and applied to the motor (here with more acetone) and exhaust pipes to be with a rougher surface.

Here the exhaust pipes already painted with XF-64 (Tamiya).

SpitfireMKVb023.gif

SpitfireMKVb024.gif

Ditto...:)

Oh... I've forgotten about something... the first shot in the first post here might be of Spitfire Mk.VB RF-D BM144 during May of 1942.

Here are other coloful images of EN951 and Zumbach's emblem....

NO8.jpg

d303.png

3892985686_6d07ebf197_o.png

Also here is a shot of his early Spitfire with the Ducky emblem...

Jan%20Zumbach.jpg

and a little bit large first shot....

303%20mascot.jpg

and an addition to the one above...

pb0603.jpg

Zumbach.jpg

Jan_Zumbach.png

Here an interesting picture of Spitfires Mk.VB of the 303 Polish Squadron. The first one in the background is Spit Mk.VB RF-D BM144.

Dywizjon_303_5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back