spitfire MKvb jan zumbach

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi guy's

just finished building the spitfire, What a waist of cash? there is so many gaps, parts that don't fit it was a BIG waist of hard earned cash. it is the last time i buy a Airfix 1/24 model.

to embarrassed to put pics up, also i have not painted it yet.

Yep! That's the way it goes. You have to remember, although it would be nice to have parts that fit perfectly, especially on an expensive model, it's sometimes almost impossible for model desogners to achieve, if a true scale is to be maintained. Therefore, it's sometimes better to have gaps that need filling, than have a part that looks way oversized, or just totally wrong.
The problem is, modellers understand and accept this, to an extent. Those new to the hobby, more so today, with everything being 'ready to use', may not be prepared for it. BUT, being part of this forum will help tremendously, as you'll be able to see how others tackle such things and, if it hasn't been coverd, then just ask. Modelling as a hobby s not a race, you don't have to throw a kit together and paint it in a couple of days. To do it so that you end up with a nice looking display piece, built and painted to the best of your ability takes time, even if those abilities are still developing.
Don't be put off Keith, we are here to help, and are only too willing to do so.
I'll admit, I'd be annoyed if I found what you did in a £40 kit, but I'd still make the best of it, and then curse the manufacturer afterwards!
So, forget being embarrased, post some pics of the Spit and, between us, we'll see if we can offer advice for the future, so that you can get more enjoyment, and value for money, out of building and painting the kits.

Thanks Terry

Don't get me wrong i love my modelling it is a passion ( as i have had to give up shooting and fishing ) after many years, i have come back to my first love:oops:

I only tried the 1/24 airfix model for old time sake.I only said what i said to blow of some steam as i was angry with myself.:oops: Now it's out of my system it's done. I have just ordered some putty to fill the gaps then i will paint it and put pics up to show you's what it is like.

Keith

That's the spirit mate! I would want to blow off too, if I found those problems on what's supposed to be a realtively new kit! I knew it was based on the 40 year old Mk1 Spit kit, but I thought that Airfix would have at least made a new wing, instead of having to cut and add bits. OK, I wouldn't mind that either, if the kit was, say, £20 or £25, but not at £40+. When I got the old 1/24th scale Bf109E a few years back (about 3 or 4 I think) it was retailing at around £28 I think, and I doubt I would have paid that. But I got it in Woolworth's January sale for £7 - supposedly half price! They must have got it wrong, but I wasn't complaining, especially as it's now about £39 or £40! Not worth it for that money!
Reminds me, I must finish the last bits on it, and post some pics!
If you need advice on how to get the Spit right, post a couple of pics first, and we'll all throw in our two penn'orth, or, with inflation, and index linked, our £1.35, plus V.A.T. !!

Hi guy's here are the pics of the spitfire 1/24 before i get the putty and paintedView attachment 93733

View attachment 93734
top view.jpg

side view 1.jpg

Last edited:
Hej Keith ... the model looks very good. However you should have improved your techinque of assembling. I know it is one of the first a such big kits you have decided to put togeter since the long tome so don't get me wrong. All mistakes you made and I notice, were caused by your rush.Modelling is not a bakery ( I said it again). All seams have to be sanded with sandpaper of 900-1200 grade and then polished.All gaps have to be filled with a putty, then sanded and polished as wel before you paint a modell.Unfortunately all these things for a such big models seem to be four times bigger than for those of 1/72 scale when a model was coloured especially if the paint was metalic ( silver, aluminium etc...).More over it is better to paint a cockpit conopy separately before you can attach it to a fuselage.Also you have to remember not only about a model general symmetry but about all its main components too.
Another thing is to find out how the real plane looked like but I don't mean its camo scheme only.
For instance you want to make a Spitfire Mk.VB replic but you have to know if it was an early Spit Mk.V or later one.The difference was in spinners/ prop blades and some other details.For J.Zumbach's Sptfire the spinner you mounted is correct as these propeller blades. But the wing seems to be much more fitted for Spitfire Mk.I and Mki.II. You have used the 20mm cannon barrels but on undersides there are visible access panels of 7.7mm MGs with their shell removing windows. Besides Mk.VB was armed with four 7.7mm MGs and two 20mm cannons but I can see six holes for the MGs barrles, two of them have to be removed by filling and sanding the leading edge at the area.
On upper wing surfaces there can be seen two bars over the main landing gear bays.These were used for the wing A type but not for B one.So these should have been sanded off I think.
Anyway you did an excellent work and I cannot wait to see the final effect.Keep working M8.:thumbleft:

Last edited:
Thanks for that Wojtek

i will try to do my best as i still have some sanding to do on the gun ports as i have to fill one on each wing, before i paint it

No problem...:)

Do you know which ones you have to fill?

Hi Wojtek

the one's nearest the cannons on each wing.

Done abit of a search on the 303 sqd the spitfire MK.vb was with this sqd in 1942, they started with hurricanes MK2 in 1941 and ended with mustangs MK3s in 1945

Well done Keith.Here you are your pic with a few hints.

Attachments

• Spit armament.jpg
    Spit armament.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back