spitfire MKvb jan zumbach

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I understand now.OK.

Putting decals on models doesn't have to be "dangerous" for therm.The first step is to cut off the element you want to use from the decal sheet, the RAF roundel for instance.Use for it scissors for example.Then put the the roundel into warm water for a few seconds and then put it on a news paper or a paper towel. After a couple of second the redundant water
will be absorbed by paper.Then use a brush and put a drop or two of water on the roundel edges and try to move the marking with the brush.If it is movable try to move it forward and back once or twice but always use the brush for it, not fingers.Then move the decal slightly beyond the paper decal basis edge on one side.Get the decal with tweezers by holding the free of decal paper base .Put the decal on model and press the decal gentily with the brush and pull out keeping with tweezers the paper ground .If the decal is not put on the correct place, use a drop of water applied with the brush on the decal edge.Water should go under decal and cause a possibility of moving.Set the decal on position with the brush and remove the water redundancy with a piece of the paper towel or the brush which you have to make dry with the paper towel or news paper. That's all. I hope I explained the way of putting decal enough comprehensible in English.Still I'm not enough good at this.

Last edited:
Hi guys and Girls

MODS if this is in the wrong section could you please put it in the right one THANK YOU

Finished the spitfire vb
Here are the pics
left sideview spitvb.jpg

rightside spit vb.jpg

side view spit vb.jpg

topfront spitfievb.jpg

I am afraid what you have is a very nice model of the BoBMF's representation of Zumbach's Spitfire EN951. (During his third tour of duty with 303 Squadron he used three different Spitfires with four versions of Donald.) The BoBMF aircraft always retain their original serial number when they are repainted. Apart from the real EN951 being much more worn, note the thin black stripe and slightly wider white stripe after the yellow tips on the props and the special mirror Zumbach used on all three of his 'Donalds'.

Attachments

• scan0014.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 77
  • scan0015.jpg
    scan0015.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Nice pics Antoni, haven't seen those ones before. I don't know why Airfix issued this kit as the BBMF aircraft, without at least including the serial of the actual aircraft.
Incidentally Keith, it might interest you to know that AB910, the BBMF Spit V, is the aircraft thet Aircraftwoman Margaret Horton had an unexpected flight on. Yes, on, not in! She was holding down the tail during engine run-up, a standard practice, when the pilot took off, with Ms Horton still draped over the empannage! Fortunately, the pilot quickly realised what was going on, completed a circuit, and landed the aircraft, and Ms Horton safely! When I get the slides converted I'll try and post some of the pics from the AV production I made about the BBMF, back in the '82 to '83 season. Got to play with the Spits, Hurricanes and Lanc for two airshow seasons - great stuff!

Thanks lads

can't wait to see those pics when you get them done Terry.
The nearest i got to play with aircraft was when Sunderland had there own air museam, with the Lightning, Vulcan ( can't remember what other aircraft they had.:?: ) Then NISSAN came and the museam closed and moved :(

Thanks Wayne

it has scrubbed up better than i thought:).
But still its the last 1/24 i will buy. I think i will stick to 1/32 or 1/48 when i build the 190 A-3

Thanks neighbour:)

I was told it was moving because NISSAN wanted the ground the museum was on:?:

wish i could get out to visit it again, as that Vulcan is a big bird and beautiful looking

Thanks guys:oops:

a-3 on backburner for now.Going to start the 1/32 revell stuka D within the next couple of days.

Looking forward to that Keth. Yep, the museum is still there. When Nissan took over the airfield, and kept the hangar too, they assisted in the move of the museum to the site across the road from the old main airfield entrance. It's quite a few years since I've been but, if he's still there, one of the volunteers who helps run the place also worked in the original 'Model Shop' in Blenheim Street, Newcastle (now gone I beleive!!). Can't remember his name, but, being a modeller himself, he was very helpful, ans would, if possible, open up aircraft for you to have a look in and photograph. Got some great shots of the Whirlwind (chopper) for a model conversion due to his help.
I'd heard that Nissan might be closing the plant? Wonder what will happen to this historic airfield then?

Thanks for that Terry

i hope they don't close the museum, as i found it interesting. I was lucky enough to have a look inside the Vulcan and the cockpit ( WOW ) is all i can say it will live with me forever:D

A bit 'cosy' up front isn't it? And the poor sods in the back had no chance in an emergency. Rotate seat, drop out through belly hatch and, IF still alive and conscious, manually operate parachute! Yeah, right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back