Spitfire serials - did they ever change?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wirbelwind

Airman
Sep 8, 2009
I remember reading somewhere that RAF aircraft serial numbers were sometimes changed as they passed through squadron to squadron. I don't remember where I read this so I can't point to a source, but is there any truth to this?

For example, serial number P8342 was manufactured as a Spitfire Mk IIb. How do I know whether that is the aircraft's original manufacturer serial number?

The serial number of all RAF aircraft remained with the aircraft for it's entire life. The only time this would change, is if the aircraft was eventually reduced to use as an instructional airframe, when it would then be allocated a number followed by the letter 'M', for example, 1234M.

Serial numbers on RAF aircraft typically did not change, and certainly not as a result of transfers between units. There were some occasions where a crashed aircraft would be rebuilt using the existing serial number, and sometimes that would include improving to a (slightly) later variant. However, those were exceptions. The vast majority of aircraft would be the same mark as when they left the factory.

Code letters did did change as aircraft moved to different units. For most of the war, front-line RAF aircraft carried a 2-letter code to identify the squadron (eg RF for 303 Sqn, SD for 501 Sqn) and then an individual letter for the specific airframe. The 2-letter codes did sometimes change over time and there are a few instances of different units carrying the same 2-letter codes but, again, these are exceptions.

The serial number of all RAF aircraft remained with the aircraft for it's entire life. The only time this would change, is if the aircraft was eventually reduced to use as an instructional airframe, when it would then be allocated a number followed by the letter 'M', for example, 1234M.

I was not aware of this Terry, thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back