Spitfire Vb serial number AA871.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobwotton

Recruit
Nov 26, 2009
Not sure how this site works but I'll give it a go. This is an information search concerning one particular Spitfire, and any info at all would be hugely appreciated. I would like to know if anyone out there has any information at all concerning a Spitfire Vb which bore the name 'Royal Tunbridge Wells', indicating that it was bought and paid for by the people of that town. In fact I understand that that town managed to equip a whole Spitfire squadron by public subscription following the Battle of Britain. I am trying to find out whether its pilot(s)had any battle success in the aircraft; any information at all really.

I think I have bad news...can't open the site, but the heading states: Casualties Dec 1941: ...He was killed whilst flying in Spitfire VB, AA871 of No 121 Sqn, which came down in the sea off Lincolnshire during a patrol. His body was later washed ...
(Home Page)

Evan

It's a little spare on detail but this is what Spitfire The History throws up:-

AA871
Works No 2214 Eastleigh
Dedication 'Royal Tunbridge Wells'
22Oct41 First Flight by George Pickering
25Oct41 9MU
05Nov41 121 Sqn
27Dec41 Struck Off Charge

Last edited:
I've got it as Colin 1 First Flight 22/10/41
9MU 25/10/41
121 sqdn 5/11/41
Finally Belly landed at North Weald and SOC 27/12/41. This last bit doesn't tally with the RAF site. Nothing like a conflicting reference!
Steve

Last edited:
TOC 9 MU Cosford 25/10/41 and allocated to 121 (Eagle) Squadron at Kirton-in-Lindsey 5/11/41. Coded AV*D. Lost 12/12/41, failed to return from patrol off Lincolnshire coast. PO Kenneth Le Roy Holder aged 23 from Streatham buried in Section 8, Grave 2793, Ipswich General Cemetery, Suffolk. Another Spitfire, AD552, was named Royal Tunbridge Wells May 1942.

AA871 is the only Spitfire listed as purchased by the Tunbridge Wells Spitfire Fund - £5,716 11s 9d

Attachments

• scan0012.jpg
    scan0012.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Nice one Antoni. If it was lost 12/12/41 I assume my SOC date is incorrect as well? As you can tell the RAF isn't really my thing!
Cheers
Steve

Nice one Antoni. If it was lost 12/12/41 I assume my SOC date is incorrect as well? As you can tell the RAF isn't really my thing!
Cheers
Steve

No, that will be the date on the aircraft movement card. Just an administrative formality. I doubt that they ever match the date the aircraft was destroyed, rather the date the decision is taken to remove it from the inventory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back