Spitfire vs Zeke (1 Viewer)

Who was better in a dogfighter, the Zero or the Spitfire?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 27, 2011
Great Britain
Greetings all, I feel slightly embarrassed cluttering up your awesome forums with these near-pointless threads :oops:...

You may or may not have seen the thread I made about the Spitfire vs Mustang, but just to let you know the Spitfire crumpled the
'Stang! Anyway, I've heard that the Mitsubishi A6M Zero ("Zeke") is an excellent dogfighter, so I were wondering; Who would really win in a
dogfight, the Spitfire Mk XIV or the Mitsubishi Zero?

Winner takes all, explain your answer in a reply, and best of all have fun!

-Oskar

You are comparing a fighter(Spitfire Mark 14) which got into service at the end of the war with one that by the end of the war was outdated. The Zeke did not have the growth potential that the Spit had and the Mark 14 was almost a new aircraft compared to the early Spits. As far as your comparison is concerned near it's base the M14 would have little trouble with any Zeke. 400 miles from a land base it would be a different story as the Spit would have to be aware of fuel shortage. Comparing the Mark 5 and the Zeke 52, if the Spit tries to dogfight the Zeke, he is at a serious disadvantage.

Not all of us may have been around the last time this was on the forum.

I agree, the MkXIV Spit is in a different world than a Zeke. Now the earlier Marks, that would be one tough fight. If the Spit pilot could keep the fight at higher speeds, I think he would be victorious. But the Spit cannot fall back onto its turning abilility like it could with all other Western friends and foes. I love the Spit, but I think the first guy that can pounce on a mistake made by the other wins.

That being said, I think the notoriously frail Zeke could less afford a mistake.

Not all of us may have been around the last time this was on the forum.

If the Spit pilot could keep the fight at higher speeds, I think he would be victorious. But the Spit cannot fall back onto its turning abilility like it could with all other Western friends and foes.

Quote from my link above.

Wg Cdr Caldwell noted that in tight, 160 mph turns, the Zero didn't get dangerously close until after the Spitfires' speed had begun to wash off after the second turn. He "easily evaded" the Zero with a downward break.

Steve

No worries. It was only meant that if one goes through the threads, you will most likely find a subject. Aircraft vs aircraft poll/threads are abundant here.

:)

No worries. It was only meant that if one goes through the threads, you will most likely find a subject. Aircraft vs aircraft poll/threads are abundant here.

:)

Thanks good, I like aircraft-aircraft polls. One of the first things I ever saw on the internet about planes was the mustang vs spitfire discussion somewhere on here.

I keep thinking about this thread. Man this is a tough fight. I am trying to be objective, but I have a place in my heart for the Spitfire. ( don't we all? ) Would the earlier marks, up to the MkV, have the climb advantage? If so, with its additional speed and climb, you could boom and zoom. Though from what I have read the Spit doesn't dive well, but I think that was American pilot views that flew heavier aircraft. But I am thinking the Zero may be equal or superior in the climb, which throws it back to the Spit just having to keep the fight faster than the Zero likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back