Squadron Call Signs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aaron Brooks Wolters

Brigadier General
Jul 28, 2007
Abingdon, VA.
I have started getting a series of books entitled Battle Colors. So far there are five volumes. I have 1, 2, and 5. Volume 2 deals with(VIII) Fighter Command. I have noticed something that to me is just a strange. I will list it as it is in the book so it is easier for you to see what I am asking about. Here goes.

56th Fighter Group
Call Signs
'A' Group; 'Yardstick' until
22-April-44. Thereafter 'Fairbank'
'B' Group: 'Ashland' until
22-April-44. Thereafter 'Subway'
'C' Group: 'Pantile' Beginning
23-April-44

61st Fighter Squadron
Callsigns
'A' Group: 'Keyworth'
until 22-April-44
Thereafter 'Whippet'
'B' Group: 'Halsted'
Until 22-April-44
Thereafter 'Halsted'
'C' Group: (NONE)

62nd Fighter Squadron
Callsigns
'A' Group:'Woodfire'
Until 22-April-44
Thereafter 'Platform'
'B' Group: 'Groundhog'
Untill 22-April-44
Thereafter 'Icejug'

63rd Fighter Squadron
Callsigns
'A' Group: 'Postgate
Until 22-April-44,
Thereafter 'Daily'
'B' Group: 'Northgrove'
Until 22-April-44,
Thereafter 'Yorker'

My question; Why is it that 'C' Group in each squadron, is without a callsign? It is listed this way for each and every squadron all the way through the book. It would seem confusing to me if they did not have a callsign. Did the author drop the ball or did they really go without a callsign, and if so, how in the world did they communicate with the other squadron? I just can not see this as working.

I would reall like to know the answer to this.

Bill can probably clarify it, but as far as I know, the 'C' groups were the reserve formations for each Squadron, and would be assigned, or 'slot in', in elements, to a particular group in that squadron, as required, should the need arise. Therefore the specific elements would assume the call sign of the aircraft they replaced, for example, Charlie (group) One and Two, might become Whippet Three and Four, in the 61st FS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back